Sunday, April 19, 2009

who would have thought....


April 19

Blog:

Who would have thought when I attended a ½ day writing seminar it would unleash the monster within.

I’ve always loved writing. English class was a breeze because there wasn’t any ‘right’ answer and the more you wrote on an exam the more of a chance you had to get it right. Now math was my downfall because you had to know what pi was and obviously it wasn’t something yummy.

Anyway after I attended the writing seminar, I went home and over Spring Break wrote a 75,000 word story entitled Shot thru the Heart. I sent it out to agents and publishers and waited for the calls to come. Well, the calls came via email and they were polite, but negative, other than the one I received from an agency in Toronto who said they would let me know in 6’8 weeks because they let everyone in the office read it, well, they emailed back the next day saying they wanted the entire story. Aries, that I am, I sent it right off and although they wanted to meet with me and shopped my story around, nothing came of it.

So back to the journals I went—yes my first story I wrote in long hand, then retyped it on a computer.

But I was determined and I joined on-line critique groups and took on-line courses.

Then I got another email.

For Lori at the Wild Rose Press.

They wanted Booty Call for Murder.

Seven contracts later, I still remember the where I was. I was at our cottage, looking out over our crystal clear lake, a loon searching for her mate calling in the background. My husband and youngest son were out fishing. My oldest son was in the cottage with me, an almost teen who when I read the email summed it up nicely.

“Way to go mom. You did it.”

So I ask, where were you when you had an earth shattering moment, a proposal, or job offer which turned your life around?

No comments: