Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Garden Interview with C.B. Clark

Hello C.B

Lets chat :)



Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?


I’m definitely a pantser. I always start with the first sentence or the germ of an idea and go from there. It’s fun not knowing what’s going to happen next. The trials and tribulations of my characters keep me writing until the end. Of course, this method of writing means there are lots of revisions.

How did you do in English as a kid?

I was always interested in reading and writing and did well in those subjects in school. (Math, Chemistry, and Physics…not so much.) I kept a diary all through my childhood and into my teens. When I first started teaching high school, I was assigned English classes. I had to learn to become proficient in grammar and punctuation, though my editor’s skills in this area far exceed mine.

What tips would you give a new writer?

Don’t stop. No matter what sort of sales or mixed reviews you receive, or the pressures of social media, don’t let anyone discourage you from following your dreams. Put your butt in a chair in front of your computer and write. Ignore that tiny, doubting voice inside you and WRITE. Keep writing until your story is finished, and then start the next one.

When did you decide to become an author?

When a botched operation left me unable to speak above a whisper for a year, I decided to try my hand at writing a novel. I loved the challenge and was ecstatic when I finished. Now my voice is back, and I have six romantic suspense novels, all published with The Wild Rose Press.

Who is the biggest influence on your writing?

Like many young girls, I read the Nancy Drew Mystery Series. When I was an adolescent, I discovered a box of old romance books in my grandmother’s basement, and I devoured stories by Daphne du Maurier, Victoria Holt, and Mary Stewart. I fell in love with romance mixed with intrigue. Later, Nora Roberts, Linda Howard, and Sandra Brown became my favorite authors.


and for some fun...


Do you have a favorite quote?

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with the one step.” Lao Tzu
I have this quote posted above my desk so I can see it every day when I’m writing. It reminds me not to think about how many pages or words I have to write to finish a story, but to focus on one word, one sentence, one page at a time.

Who do you see as a hero in your life?

Terry Fox was only twenty-one years old, and had one leg amputated due to cancer, when he inspired Canada and the world through his courageous Marathon of Hope. His goal was to run from coast to coast (a distance of 6,521 km/4,025 miles) to raise awareness and funds for cancer research. Even though, he had to cut his journey short and died because his cancer returned, his Marathon of Hope raised more than twenty-four million dollars. To date, the Terry Fox Foundation has raised more than 750 million dollars for cancer research. My kind of hero.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was ten, my grandmother gave me a book about Howard Carter, the archaeologist who discovered King Tutankhamun’s (an eighteenth century Egyptian pharaoh) undisturbed tomb in 1922. I was hooked and dreamed of becoming an archaeologist. I earned my degree in archaeology and worked in that area on archaeological excavations and surveys for several years before I turned to education.

What is your favorite drink?

It’s a toss up between red wine and herbal tea. These days, the red wine is winning.


Where can we find you online?







Download Healing Hearts on Amazon and other online retailers.
https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Hearts-C-B-Clark-ebook/dp/B084FW1VTV




16 comments:

Liz Flaherty said...

I like your interests--although it's hard to see the segue from archaeology to teaching English. :-)

CB Clark said...

Thanks for stopping by, Liz. The high school where I taught was very small and in northern Canada. We had to teach a variety of subjects. You never knew from one year to the next what you were going to be teaching. I promise you, it was never boring.

Judith Sterling said...

Great interview! I loved Nancy Drew and Victoria Holt, too, and I love that you got your degree in archaeology (something I almost did, too)!

Karen Hulene Bartell said...

I, too, was drawn to archaeology - it's a strong magnetism, isn't it? Continued success with your latest release!

peggy jaeger said...

Fab interview!!!! I love learning so much about my WRP sistahs!!

Charlotteoshayauthor.com said...

Your choice of hero is so inspiring! And your writing advice spot on.

Hywela Lyn said...

Great interview - and some really solid advice for writers there, too. Love the cover of your book as well, it's stunning!

D. V. Stone said...

I love that quote, too. I also loved your book. Cheers🍷 D. V.

Lucy K. said...

I also loved Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart. They got me reading romantic suspense. I look forward to reading Healing Hearts. It's on my list!

CB Clark said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love the Rose support network. Makes my day.

Sadira Stone said...

I looooved Nancy Drew! Here's to adventurous girls. Great interview!

Barbara Bettis said...

Loved the interview, CB, and getting to know you better! Best of luck with the book.

Sydney Winward said...

I love your advice for new writers. It's not easy to keep writing when you're discouraged!

Micki Miller said...

Her story about how she became a writer is inspiring.

Tena Stetler said...

Inspiring interview CB. Enjoyed reading it good luck on your riding journey!

CB Clark said...

Once again I'm humbled by all your positive and supportive comments. Thank you so much for stopping by. I know how busy our lives are.