Friday, February 13, 2009

The Sweetheart Dance



My latest release, The Sweetheart Dance, is out today. Isn't my cover gorgeous? Thanks, Angela Anderson. I thought I’d drop in and post an excerpt for your reading pleasure! Happy Valentine's Day!

THE SWEETHEART DANCE
Patti Ann Colt

Back Cover Blurb:
Although Echo Falls high school teacher Meg Applegate aches to belong to Bret Cara body and soul, he maintains a hands-off policy. She is wife material and violates his no relationship philosophy based on years with combative parents. But when a practical joker spikes Meg’s drinks at the Valentine’s Day Sweetheart Dance, Bret comes to her rescue – and she astounds him with a hot, sensual kiss.

Assisting the police department in tracking teen felons, Meg takes the opportunity to snag the handsome cop’s attention and they launch an affair based on Bret’s ‘no strings’ rules. But each searing encounter conflicts with her beliefs and dreams. She cannot maintain their bargain forever, but despite making love he seems no closer to giving her what she needs. When Meg’s conscience demands more from him, will Bret walk away or deliver his heart?

Excerpt:
“Why don’t you explain not interested to me?” Meg's quiet tone challenged. “I could have sworn interested was the message you sent when we kissed.”
Bret’s heart jumped into his throat. This was exactly what he feared. “I don’t have relationships. I have women in my life for sex.”
She shrugged. “Okay. Let’s have sex.”
He choked on his spit. “No,” he finally managed. He seized her plate of half-eaten pie and retreated to the kitchen sink.
She licked her fork and dogged him. “Why not? I’m more than willing.”
He hardened at the thought, his jeans becoming painfully tight. “Because you won’t have sex with me and walk away. Your heart will get involved. You’ll expect things, and that’s where I can’t comply, so it’s better not to start.”
She leaned against the door frame and stared at him, then licked her fork one more time. Shivers raced up his arms and into his hair. He couldn’t take his eyes off her tongue.
“You don’t know that.” She offered him her fork.
He snatched the cold steel utensil from her hand and put it in the dishwasher. “So you’ll walk into my bedroom, stay naked for a couple of days of hot, wild sex, and then leave?” He stared at the touchable, ivory skin just above her neckline.
She licked her lips. “So, you’ve thought about hot wild sex, too.”
He closed his eyes, a hair’s breadth away from losing control.

No comments: