Wednesday, January 04, 2017

My Earth-Bound Angels

“For truly we are all angels temporarily hiding as humans.”
― Brian L. Weiss

I love angels, holy wars, good vs. evil – all those themes. Since I write from things close to my heart, these themes keep popping up in my work. One of the favorite heroines I’ve created is demon hunter, Elle Connor, from my Hell On Heels series. She is tough as old leather but with a vulnerability when it comes to giving and receiving love. I put this body of work away right after I wrote the series and read it again with fresh eyes. I found key parts of myself in Elle.

I spent the better part of my youth watching chick-flicks, thinking to myself how cool it was to see a group of women support, love, and respect each other through the roller coaster that is life. I had close friends but it was somehow never as magical and larger-than-life than the stories told on – screen. I grew into young womanhood, a little disappointed that I could never seem to capture that magic in a few of my own feminine friendships.
As I got older, I began to have more deep, meaningful conversations with the girls and women in my family. My friends and I drifted in different directions, as life was calling us. I started with a big group of feminine friends and, by the time I was thirty, I remained close to only a few. I was forced to look elsewhere for that vibrant, necessary connection of womanhood and sisterhood. I finally found what I needed in the root of my family of women.
My sisters were now young adults, my Mom and stepmom sought to pass along their knowledge of the world and their wisdom. The timing was perfect, as I found joy and solace in what I call my “earth-bound angels”. They are always available – for emotionally heavy conversations or just for silly laughs. Now, I never lack for honest opinions, soulful wisdom on any topic imaginable, and light-hearted giggles with glasses of wine at midnight. Being a part of this circle is supremely fulfilling – and better than the best chick-flick!

Tamela Miles
https://www.facebook.com/sassysleepingbeauties/

No comments: