Thursday, April 23, 2020

Garden Interview with Gloria Joynt-Lang

Welcome Gloria


What's your favorite book you've written?
I’ve written four novels, two of which have been published. They all hold a special place in my heart, however I’m especially proud of how Braking Hard turned out. It’s a slow-burn romance between a man with severe adult ADHD and a strong independent woman who struggles with accepting help. In order to achieve a fair and authentic portrayal, I did a fair amount of research into ADHD. My beta readers and the reviews received thus far, indicate I hit the mark. There are other aspects of Braking Hard that I love as well, including the choice of a blue collar hero, quirky and meddlesome relatives, and splashes of humor, but showing a man who rises to the challenge his ADHD makes this one my favorite.

Do you have trouble saying goodbye to characters?

Absolutely. It’s why I love writing series. That way I can take my time saying good-bye. In Braking Hard, I developed some interesting characters who will get a chance to reappear in the next installment of the Storm Harbor Series. Readers have mentioned they love Aunt Iris. I think most of us have an Aunt Iris in our lives. I woman who is full of life and lacks the ability to filter her thoughts. 
I haven’t yet named the next book, but it will feature Gage O’Neill’s cousin, Cole. Where Braking Hard was a friends to lovers romance, this next one will be enemies to lovers.  I realize I will eventually have to bid farewell to Gage and Eden from Braking Hard, but I’m happy to keep them around for bit longer.


How did you come up with the title?

Braking Hard features a mechanic in a small beachside Oregon town. For those who love fast cars, you’ll  understand not only the excitement of punching the accelerator but also of hitting the brakes fast. There’s a certain thrill to fishtailing but there’s also a danger. Gage’s love for Eden is like braking hard. Swerving out of control gets his adrenaline pumping, bet there’s a risk of plummeting off a cliff.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

At the beginning of the novel Gage O’Neill appears to have it all. His ADHD is under control, he has a hot girlfriend, and he’s running a successful business. But then life takes a turn, and his so-called ideal life unravels.
In Gage’s case, his ADHD makes rebounding a bit more difficult. By the end of the story, he’s not back to where he was, but he’s in a different place. A better place.
Most of us will face multiple challenges, whether they be job losses, relationship issues, health problems, or a variety of other obstacles. We may never get back to where we once were, but sometimes going down a different path can lead to just as much happiness or even more.
Although there’s plenty of struggles in Braking Hard, there’s an overall message of perseverance and hope.

What are your current projects?

I’m working on the next novel in the Storm Harbor Series. It involves Gage O’Neill’s cousin, Cole. Cole is a police officer and a womanizer. He loves practical jokes and doesn’t take life seriously. But then a serious incident happens which shakes his faith in the decisions he’s made. Just like Eden in Braking Hard, I created an equal match to help Cole. She’s a strong independent woman. But unlike the women Cole is used to, this lady wants nothing to do with him.



now for a little fun

Who do you see as a hero/heroine in your life?

My mother. She was the oldest girl in a large family. When conflict broke out in her country, she became a caregiver to many of her younger siblings. She took on responsibilities of an adult when she was just a teen and never allowed the atrocities of war to affect her outlook on life. When she married my father, she couldn’t speak English. She left her country and her family to pursue a new life based upon her love for my father. My mother was the strongest person I ever met. She handled life with grace and resilience. She passed away in 2007. Braking Hard is dedicated to her and my father.

What did you want to be when you grew up?


I wanted to be a goalie. As far back as I can remember, I’ve loved the game of hockey. I collected cards, bought hockey magazines, and was glued to the television set every Saturday when Hockey Night in Canada was on.  Back when I was a kid, most hockey teams weren’t open to girls being on the team. Never one to let obstacles get in the way of his daughter’s dreams, my dad bought me my first hockey stick when I was five. He chopped the end off so it would fit my tiny frame. He took me and my sisters to the outdoor rinks and frozen ponds, and we’d shoot the puck around for hours. I no longer play, but I’m still a die-hard hockey fan. 


Me with the Stanley Cup. As far as I’m concerned this is the best trophy in the world. It’s not only beautiful but it’s also practical. It can hold 23 cans of beer.   

What is your favorite comfort food?

Good old macaroni and cheese. I love it so much that I limit myself to indulging once a year. Otherwise I’d eat it all the time. I’m a purist so you will never see hot dogs, bacon, or disgusting broccoli in my mac and cheese. I even chased my husband away when he tried to put pepper in it.
This year for my birthday, I’ll be eating a whole box of Kraft Dinner. I’m quite excited about it.

What is your favorite time of year and why?


I love all four seasons and living in Canada it’s possible to experience all of them in one day. All kidding aside, if you were to ask what season I could not do without I would say winter. Most of my friends and family don’t get this, but I love snow. To see the hoar frost on the trees is breathtakingly beautiful. And snow is fun. You’re never too old to make snow angels or have a good old-fashioned snowball fight. Of course, when its really cold outside—like minus thirty-five Celsius (that’s -31 Fahrenheit or in laymen’s terms, I can’t feel my face)—I sit inside and watch those large flakes from the window. A blizzard is a wonderful time to write, read a book, or sip coffee with a special splash of Irish cream.  



The reason why I love winter.

If you could have three wishes granted, what would you wish for?

A few months ago the answer would have involved a Corvette, but thing have changed. Now my three wishes would be:
1)      A vaccine for COVID-19;
2)      for the vaccine to be available to everyone (and for free); and
3)      for people to get back to their day to day life.
I’m an introvert so self-isolating isn’t difficult for me. Tuning into the news and see all the human suffering is the hard part. People are going to work to keep us healthy, fed, and safe. The least we can do is stay home when possible and not make the situation worse.  

I wanted to keep this interview light-hearted, but what’s happening in every corner of the world is serious. And we aren’t powerless. We have choices. Let’s just hope we all make good ones.

where can we find out more?


Download  Braking Hard  on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082S7NSY9 and other online retailers






1 comment:

Laura Strickland said...

Gloria, I love hockey too! In fact my latest Buffalo Steampunk Adventure features hockey from the 1880s. Breaking Hard sounds like a fabulous read. As the wife of a mechanic, I'm sure I'd enjoy it.