Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Garden Interview with Stephen B King

Welcome Stephen

tell us about your books


Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?
For me, I start with an idea, which could be anything. A title, a line, a ‘what if’ scenario, and in one memorable case a dream. Wherever the inspiration comes from, after I have a think about it and decide how to approach the story I work from that point and write forward. While I have an idea where things are going, and the main characters, I never plan anything. This is especially true of an ending. Whenever I find myself wondering how it will end, I shy away and force myself not to plan, just write it.
As you might imagine, this means a lot of work in re-writes, which I always do a minimum of five times, leaving time between each to try to look at it with fresh eyes.
I have a saying; ‘Write from the heart and edit from the head.’ That works for me and more importantly, I find I want to write because I want to know what happens next to my character(s).




Have you ever cried while writing a book?
I have teared up during writing. I’ve found that the older I get the more likely I am to cry during movies. Funnily enough, my problem comes during rewrites. When I read my own words, after they’ve been written. Even though I know what’s about to happen, that’s when I cry.
In Thirty-Three Days, there are three places that without fail I cry every single time. Now that is strange enough, but when you think that during writing, re-writes, editing, proofing the audio etc., I’ve probably read TTD fifty times. But those three spots get me every time. I’d like to think that means it was well written.






What's your favorite book you've written?
In one way this is easy to answer, Glimpse, The Tender Killer (book 3 of the Deadly Glimpses Trilogy). There are aspects of this book that for me still give me goosebumps. I loved the psychology in the story, and creating an alter ego, named Jolly, for the schizophrenic serial killer. I wrote it so that the reader would ask if Jolly was imagined, or was he somehow real? It also brought a climax to the ‘will they or won’t they’ romantic element of the trilogy.
The reason I said in one way is due to what has happened since it was released. Glimpse was written as a trilogy and I told the story I wanted to tell. The most gratifying thing for me was after publication how many requests I got from readers asking what happens next and reviewers saying they hoped there would be another installment. I had moved on and was writing other projects, but the call for a fourth book continued.

Glimpse 4, called Glimpse, The Angel Shot is now around 85000 words, and OMG, I LOVE it. It’s dark, and for those readers who wondered what would happen to Rick, Pat and Juliet next – hold onto your hats, you-re going on a roller-coaster ride. I can tell you Jolly is back, and how.



Who is the biggest influence on your writing?
For many years it was my (slightly more famous) namesake – the other Stephen King. I’ve been complimented by some readers saying our writing styles in creating characters is similar. All I can say to that is if I could write one hundredth as well as he, I would die a happy man.

Of more recent times I’ve discovered Michael Robotham. Never have I been so moved as reading his stories of clinical psychologist Joseph O’Loughlan. I think the hallmark of a truly great author is one who can make you care for his/her characters as if you were related to them. Michael Robotham gets me every single time.

Did you have to research forensic science or criminal psychology for your latest suspense?
Most definitely. My passion is writing thriller/police procedural stories about serial killers and showing the reader why and how they became the way they did. I think when most people read newspapers about horrific killings, we all ask why? My stories seek to answer that question.
My research for this is exhaustive. My daughter has a degree in criminal psychology and justice (she works for the Supreme Court) and a good friend is a very successful clinical psychologist. I run ideas by both of them and have many in depth discussions to try my best to get it right. I read a lot too, and of course these days Google is a wonderful tool. 


and now for some fun

What's the most blatant lie you've ever told?
The most blatant lie I’ve ever told has never been discovered (I hope). It’s been years since I told it, and I did it because I was researching for a book I wrote many years later called Domin8 (released April 13th though The Wild Rose Press). Domin8 is a contentious story, a thriller/police procedural/whodunnit that puts my protagonist in a poor light. His wife of 26 years due to early menopause has lost all desire for sex, and Dave, through a set of unusual circumstances discovers an online treasure trove of women who crave no strings meetings via chat rooms and dating. Dave thinks he has found Utopia, until someone starts murdering his lovers and he becomes the prime suspect.

I can’t tell you the lie I told, but I can tell you I did a lot of research for Domin8



Do you have a favorite quote?
I do. Among family, friends and work colleagues I am famous for it and I believe this is a truism to live by: “Sometimes it is better to seek forgiveness than permission.”
I’ve found that sometimes it’s better to have an argument after the fact that’s over quickly when I apologize, than protracted debates, ill feelings and fighting before where one tried to stop the other from doing something they really want to do.
Selfish, me? Nah, no way.

Has the dog ever eaten your manuscript?

No, but my laptop did once, but it had a happy ending. I forgot to back up, foolishly thinking WORD was doing it automatically. One day my laptop crashed and I lost almost 20,000 words of a MS. I tried everything to recover it and in the end had to re-write it all from scratch. But what happened was in doing so it took off in a completely different direction and was so much better for it. Some say I should let my PC crash more often J

Are you jealous of other writers?
I’m horrendously jealous of any author who can afford to do it full time. OMG I have so many stories to tell, and so little time to do it because I work for a living managing a large car dealership selling Kia’s.

If only I had more time, not only could I write more books, but I know the quality of what I write would improve because I believe the more a writer writes, the more they hone their craft.

Who's more fun, bad boys or perfect gentlemen? Or Bad Girl or a lady?

There is an old saying I think is very true of most men. We want to marry a virgin who becomes a tigress. My wife of thirty years and I have a joke, and how much truth is in it I will leave up to you to decide. I married her for the sex, and she married me for my money – we both got it wrong.

Where can we find out more?

Website: www.stephen-b-king.com
Facebook: @stephenbkingauthor
Twitter: @stephenbking1
Amazon author page: https://amzn.to/2mrOQJo

Download Domin8 on Amazon and other online retailers https://amzn.to/2xCrMNC 



No comments: