Friday, April 03, 2020

Welcome Jennifer Wilck to the garden

Today we have Jennifer Wilck in the garden


Jennifer, tell us about you, the writer.


Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?
I let the story unfold as I write, although I will often jot down notes of where I want the story to go. However, my characters don’t always get me there. Most of my stories start in my head with a conversation between two people. I write it down and then go from there. Of course, that conversation might occur at the middle or end of the story, so I often have to go backwards before I can go forwards. As you can tell, it’s a form of chaotic organization (or at least, that’s what I tell myself).

How did you do in English as a kid?
I always loved my English classes. I was the nerd who cheered when the teacher announced a pop vocabulary quiz, while everyone else groaned. And the reason I don’t use outlines to write a story is that when I was young, my English teachers taught us to write without one. Later, we moved to a different district and they were entirely focused on outlining. The first paper I did for that teacher got me a D. She pulled me aside and asked what happened. When I explained, she actually let me write out of order (first the rough draft, then the outline and finally the final copy) since it was obvious I knew what I was doing.

When did you decide to become an author?
When my kids were young, I was watching TV with my husband one night and this secondary character came on the screen. He fascinated me. So I raced to my computer and started writing his story. That eventually turned into my book, A Heart of Little Faith. I haven’t stopped since, although sometimes it’s hard to find the inspiration, especially when the world is going crazy.

Do you have trouble saying goodbye to characters?

Yes! I still dream scenes for A Heart of Little Faith, as well as for Addicted to Love. I love my characters.

Do you have set times during the day that you write?

I try to start writing around lunchtime or early afternoon and go for as long as I can. That usually takes me to around dinnertime. The words don’t always flow, and sometimes I have to completely redo what I did the day before, but I work better on a schedule.

and for a bit of fun

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a marine biologist, but I have a problem with my ear that keeps me out of water, and I’m really not good with science.
Do you have a favorite quote?
You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. – A. A. Milne

You can erase one embarrassing experience from your past. What will it be?
Actually, I’d rather not. While I hated every embarrassing moment, each one has helped me grow as a person and develop a thick skin—essential for a writer—so they had value.

Do you enjoy giving interviews?
I do, actually. It’s fun to talk to people about what I do and I like finding out about them, too.

Have you ever found true love?
I’m pretty sure I have with my husband. He’s my best friend and the person I most want to be with


Where can we find our more about you and your books




Read Waiting for a Miracle
and other online retailers


14 comments:

Laura Strickland said...

So much fun finding out more about you, Jennifer! Take care!

Mary Morgan said...

Enjoyed the interview, Jennifer! And the quote by A. A. Milne is one of my favorites.

Charlotteoshayauthor.com said...

Super interview Jennifer!

Bluegem said...

Great interview!

D. V. STONE said...

Enjoyed your interview. Thans for sharing
D.V.🦉

Barbara Bettis said...

Love getting to know you better, Jennifer! Happy Writing!

CB Clark said...

Great interview, Jennifer. It's always so nice to get to know more about a fellow author. Thanks for sharing.

Judith Sterling said...

Wonderful interview, Jennifer. I love the A. A. Milne quote, and my husband and I are best friends, too! Lovely to learn more about you.

Kathy Otten said...

Enjoyed your interview. I'm a big fan of A.S. Milne, so loved the quote. Best Wishes.

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments!

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Love that A.A. Milne quote. Very inspiring as was your interview. Thanks for sharing. : )

Marilyn Barr said...

Great interview. I can just see you cheering for the vocabulary test with groaning classmates in the background. Too funny.

Donna Simonetta said...

Really fun interview, Jennifer! It was nice to learn more about you, and I love your favorite quote! It's something I need to remind myself...frequently!
: )

GiniRifkin said...

Great interview, beautiful book cover. I wanted to be a marine biologist too!