Saturday, December 01, 2018

Christmas on the beach


The Christmas holidays take place mid-summer in the southern hemisphere, so for me it will always be associated with seaside holidays. As a child, we lived inland and the holidays really began when after six hours drive, we caught that first tantalizing glimpse of the ocean above the sand dunes and my parents could finally answer “Yes” to the dreaded question, “Are we nearly there yet?”

 Durban South Africa 

My childhood memories are awash with holidays on Durban beach where the waves where gentle, and I could jump the swells and feel like a goddess of the sea before playing swing ball with my sisters on the soft golden sand, gathering shells, or diving into the pool at the caravan park to touch the blue mosaic dolphin at the bottom.

The walk to the beach took us past a group of Zulu women who sold their wares to tourists along the side of the road, everything from wood sculptures to handmade doilies and brightly colored bead necklaces and bracelets featuring traditional designs. I would have bought a necklace every day if I’d had control of the purse strings.

Darling Harbour Sydney

When we couldn’t swim, I’d bury my nose in a book. One of my fondest memories is of finding such treasures as the Nancy Drew mystery, The Clue in the Old Stage Coach, in a second-hand bookshop and waiting impatiently to return to the caravan so that I could sprawl on my bunk and read.

My mom always went to a great deal of trouble to ensure Christmas was merry despite the limitation of hosting it in a caravan. We’d have an artificial tree wrapped in tinsel and twinkling with light surrounded by presents. One year was particularly special. We didn’t have light and Mom found the sweetest Father Christmas candles, some fat and jolly, some thin like the soldiers in the Nutcracker.

The scent of sunscreen and seaweed and the gritty feel of sand lining a swimsuit are as much a part of Christmas for me as an artificial tree lined with gifts, glazed ham, roast potatoes and turkeys.


Balmoral Beach


These days I live in Sydney, Australia where the beach is near at hand, but my family is far away. The beach is too hot for me unless I have a large hat and am sitting under a beach shade. Sydney Harbour sparkles through the summer and I like to walk around the Opera House. I like to walk along Cremorne Point or the promenade at Balmoral Beach, enjoying the cool sea breeze and taking comfort from the excited cries of playful children. We have good friends who celebrate the day with us and take away some of the sting of absent family. It’s a bittersweet moment that reminds me that life is about choices, to celebrate my new life even as I miss family and friends. I am thankful for social media and the window it gives me into the lives of those far away.


Christmas_Sydney 


However you celebrate this December, enjoy the food and the company. I wish you happy holidays and happy memories.

Laura Boon is the author of The Millionaire Mountain Climber.

https://lauraboon.com/about/




15 comments:

JENNIFER WILCK said...

It's so interesting to read about sights and smells that make people think about Christmas, especially when they take place half a world away. Lovely blog!

Laura Strickland said...

Wonderful to get a glimpse into your "Christmas" life! Oh, how I loved finding a book in a used book store, and the sheer joy of jumping into it. I guess some things are the same, world-wide! Have a blessed holiday.

DeeDee Lane said...

I loved reading your memories of Christmas past. It sounds like your Mom was very imaginative in her decorating. Happy Day to you.

Carol Henry said...

Enjoyed your post, Laura. We spent a few days in Sydney several years ago, and enjoyed seeing the sights. It's interesting to get your perspective on Christmas during the summer months there. Thanks for sharing. Hope you have wonderful memories this year, as well.

Starra said...

Laura, I so enjoyed your Christmas memories and photos! Thanks for sharing with your fellow writers and Happy Holidays!

Charlotteoshayauthor.com said...

I loved hearing about how special your mom made Christmas for you. So different but cool to bbq on the beach for Christmas. Merry Christmas to you!

Jana Richards said...

Living in Canada in the snow and cold at Christmas, it's beyond my experience to celebrate the holidays in the hottest part of the summer. I might just be able to get used to it! Merry Christmas!

ELF said...

How amazing that your Christmas temps are so different from ours (although we have occasionally had very warm Christmases). Thank you for that vivid portrait of life in your corner of the world and Happy Holidays!

Cat Dubie said...

Great post! Enjoyed hearing how you celebrate Christmas at the height of summer. Thanks for sharing your memories and those lovely family pictures. All the best,

Cat

Mary Morgan said...

So enjoyed your post, Laura! And I love your "Elf on the Shelf!" Happy Holidays!

Brenda Whiteside said...

What a beautiful place you live. I know many mid-westerners that would love to celebrate Christmas at the beach.

Kristal Harris said...

I would love to celebrate Christmas with warm temps! Lucky woman. Thanks for sharing!

Tena Stetler said...

Enjoyed your post Laura! Thanks so much for sharing. Can’t quite imagine Christmas without snow and cold.

Julie Howard said...

Ahhh! Christmas on a beach! I could definitely get used to that. I suppose snow must seem equally exotic for you this time of year. My husband and I are visiting Sydney and other parts of Australia in February, and I so excited to see your country. We live on the other side of the world so this will be a big trip for us. I’ll think about your summer Christmas stories when I visit.

dlucas said...

What wonderful Christmas memories you shared of the beach. Your mother really went all out. Enjoy the holidays with your friends, sun, and nearby family. I too am so thankful for social media connections :)