Tuesday, December 04, 2018

Holidays with H.B. Berlow

"I don't take a lot of time to explain to non-Jewish family and friends the braided egg bread is called Challah. Everyone knows it as the bread I make for Thanksgiving. Enough said. Until recently, I was only doing a two-strand braid. Then, I found a YouTube video on making a 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 strand braid. I figured three would be enough. I've been making this bread at the holidays for close to 20 years. I just recently purchased a Kitchenaid stand mixer. This way I can save wear and tear on my arthritic hands (which I REALLY need for writing) and continue to make the 'braided egg bread' for a long time to come."


H.B. Berlow     




16 comments:

DeeDee Lane said...

Looks beautiful H.B. and it looks like you're doing a nice egg wash to give it a shiny coating. Three strands is perfect!

JENNIFER WILCK said...

I'm so jealous of anyone who can make challah. Mine comes out like matzah.

H.B. Berlow said...

Hey, egg wash is a the thing. Need that golden look to impress

H.B. Berlow said...

Save it for Passover and it's all good.

Lucy K. said...

It looks delicious ! I love my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. It makes great pizza dough, too.

Darcy said...

You're way ahead of me, H.B. If I ever tried to make any kind of bread, it would end up as bread crumbs. A Happy Chanukah to you and your loved ones.

Barbara Bettis said...

It looks wonderful and I bet it tastes even better. BTW, three strands seems exactly right. I can't imagine trying a nine-strander. I'd probably have it wrapped all around me :)

Colleen Driscoll said...

Looks delicious! Thank goodness for bread mixers.

Kristal Harris said...

Love to have the recipe! Looks absolutely yummy! Bake on my writer friend.

Anonymous said...

Sounds so delicious! And yes, definitely save your hands for writing! Have a happy holiday!

Mary Morgan said...

Yum! And I love my kitchenaid mixer, too! All the best and thanks for sharing!

M. S. Spencer said...

I make Swedish coffee bread every Christmas (like challah but with cardamom). Learned from my Swedish mother-in-law who of course made it by hand. When I tried it with my Kitchenaid mixer, she grudgingly acknowledged it was better!

Tena Stetler said...

Sound and looks yummy. Stand mixer makes mixing bread so much easier. I love mine.

ELF said...

I am grateful for our mixer as well, it definitely helps spare my aches and pains. That looks yummy (and now I am picturing you braiding the dough just the way I do my hair, lol). Thanks for sharing!

CB Clark said...

Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

dlucas said...

It's amazing how beautiful bread can be. Thank you for sharing!