Tuesday, December 04, 2018

One pair of socks by Kristal Dawn Harris


As the holidays come once again, I can’t help but reminisce over childhood memories. My mother had nine brothers and sisters, so my family was quite large. The entire family used to gather on Christmas at my grandmother and grandfather’s home in Eastern Kentucky. My grandparents lived in a very old house heated with potbelly, coal stoves. By the time Christmas arrived, the real tree they cut down in the mountains had wilted and turned brown, but the pile of presents surrounding it was unbelievable. There were never enough beds, so the children, including myself, slept on the floor. No one had a cell phone or computer. There was only one television in the house, but no cable. For entertainment we played in the snow, went ice skating on the frozen creek or listened to stories told by my aunts and uncles.

On Christmas eve, we would all gather around the drooping tree while my Grandma handed out presents. My grandparents were very poor, but they always made sure they bought something for each grandchild. The grandchildren received one pair of socks wrapped with love. There were no bows, fancy ribbons or sparkling nametags, but wrapping paper was so deep in the room we literally waded through it. I remember my grandparents crying when it was their turn to open presents because they always had more than anyone. Their children gifted them what they couldn’t afford for themselves. I would hold my one pair of socks in my hand, watching them, not knowing how precious that memory would become.

On Christmas day cookies, fudge and cakes lined the kitchen table, several hams were baked along with mashed potatoes, green beans, cornbread and sweet potatoes. With the potbelly stoves full of burning coal and my aunts in the kitchen cooking, we usually had to open the doors in the house because of the heat. While my aunts cooked, my uncles would load buckets full of coal and set them on the front porch, so when we all left my grandma wouldn’t have to carry in coal from the cold.

Times have certainly changed over the years. Most of my aunts and uncles have passed away and my grandparents are gone. The old house was torn down several years ago and only green grass remains where the house once stood. As I gaze on my perfect, artificial Christmas tree surrounded with expensive gifts, I’m thankful, but that thankfulness also comes with a little sadness. As a child, I laughed at that one pair of socks my grandparents gifted me, but as an adult I cherish those memories.

One pair of socks turned out to be the most meaningful gift I’ve ever received.


 Kristal Dawn Harris
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/18576974.Kristal_Dawn_Harris



28 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the old memories of Christmas past. When times were simpler. Thank you for the reminder.

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Such lovely memories.

Tena said...

Fond memories sweet cousin. Thank you for the reminder.

Lucy K. said...

Thanks for sharing your memories. I grew up in an old farmhouse heated with coal. We were so happy when we finally got gas heat! Warm socks were very important in those days. Merry Christmas!

Darcy said...

What a beautiful memory you have to carry with you for the rest of your life. Thanks so much for sharing it.

H.B. Berlow said...

It is amazing what we remember and how significant little things become as we grow older.

Kristal Harris said...

You're welcome and it was a reminder to myself! Always be thankful!

Kristal Harris said...

Yes they are!

Kristal Harris said...

Love to get my hands on some of those old pictures!

Kristal Harris said...

You're welcome! Merry Christmas!

Kristal Harris said...

Love those memories! You're welcome!

Kristal Harris said...

Exactly my thoughts! Merry Christmas!

Barbara Bettis said...

Oh, my gosh, Kristal. I teared up at your story. What a wonderful family you had and such fabulous memories.

Colleen Driscoll said...

Kristal, Your Christmases sound so similar to my childhood (I have 8 siblings). Except my grandmother gave out a $2 bill (Thomas Jefferson). I thought it was the coolest gift. I still have one locked away for old times sake. I don't think I'll ever spend it. Great memories.

Kristal Harris said...

Glad you enjoyed! Tearful memories are the best. Merry Christmas!

Kristal Harris said...

Awesome memories! Would like to go back for one more of those Christmas's at Grandma's! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a picture you create of warmth and love--the true gifts of Christmas. Your grandparents sounded like wonderful people! Happy holidays.

Kristal Harris said...

Thank you! My grandparents set a wonderful example of what Christmas should be. Thankful for the memories! Merry Christmas!

Mary Morgan said...

What a beautiful post, Kristal! Thank you for sharing what the true meaning of Christmas means. You will carry those treasured memories forever. All the best!

Kristal Harris said...

Thanks Mary! Yes, I carry those memories in my heart! I only wish my children experienced those times. Merry Christmas!

DeeDee Lane said...

Enjoyed reading this Kristal. I can picture your Holiday feast!

Kristal Harris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristal Harris said...

Thank you! We definitely had a yummy Christmas feast!

Tena Stetler said...

What a wonderful memory! Thanks so much for sharing!

Kristal Harris said...

You're so very welcome! Merry Christmas!

ELF said...

That sounds like a wonderful tradition and an excellent way to celebrate with family. What a beautiful description of togetherness and an inspiration to remind us what the season is truly about. Thanks for sharing.

CB Clark said...

What a great Christmas tradition. It brings to mind the reason we celebrate this Season. Thanks for sharing.

dlucas said...

I love how special a pair of socks became each Christmas. My mother, almost 85 gives a box of cereal to each of her four children and grandchildren. It's a hoot! Thanks for sharing. Happy holidays!