Monday, December 10, 2018

The Day the Elves Died


Christmas Eve arrived and the game was afoot. Reindeer clip-clopped on our roof and a shadow flashed by our front window. Our children were fast, but never fast enough to catch sight of the elves who delivered an early Christmas gift at the front door. There was no surprise to what would be inside the boxes. Year after year, Santa’s elves would make a stop by our house to drop off new pajamas.

“Santa wants you to wake up on Christmas morning in new PJs,” I would explain.
As the years went on, our two kids became suspicious. The once-joyful tradition was now a competition between us and our children. The elves (usually my husband) had to become trickier each Christmas Eve. “Where’s dad?” our son would ask right after dinner, and they would dash to the front window, sure they would catch him in the act of tossing a rock on the roof and clutching two packages. My husband was light-footed and never got caught, even as he returned through the back door a little out of breath.
Our daughter would confront him at the door. “Where were you?”
“Taking out the garbage.”
They weren’t buying it. “You guys are the elves.”
Echoes of earlier years came to me – squeals of delight, small feet racing to the door and the immediate tearing of wrapping paper. I shrugged off their disbelief, unable to let go of these memories. “When you don’t believe in the elves anymore, they don’t show up.”
This would result in exchanged glances between them and a silent mutual agreement to keep quiet. At least until the next year.
The tradition came to a screeching halt the year we spent Christmas at my parents. Their sprawling ranch house required a full-on sprint from a side door around to the front, and our kids were on full alert. A clatter on the roof caused their heads to swivel as they determined which parent was missing from the room. The doorbell rang, there was a grunt and a thudding of footsteps on the front walk. Our kids didn’t budge. There was no anticipation, no eagerness for a gift at the door. Our son, the older of the two, rolled his eyes and threw his head back. “Ugh. Is it those dumb elves again?”
I tried my best to rekindle the Christmas spirit in my all-knowing pre-teens. “You should see if there’s something out there.”
My husband stumbled in the side door, breathless and rubbing a knee. “What’s going on in here? I thought I saw reindeer on the roof.”
The kids double-teamed him. “You rang the doorbell,” said one. “There are no elves,” said the other.
My husband glanced around the room, bewildered at the mutiny. “What happened to your knee?” I asked in a low voice.
“I slipped on the grass. I think I cracked something.”
We finally got the kids to fetch the packages. Their expressions were as bored as could be when they drew out the new pajamas. They trudged down the hallway to change their clothes.
My husband poured us each a robust glass of wine and joined me on the couch.
I stared into the fireplace and watched the flames lick higher. When had our children grown up? “I think it’s over.”
He gave a long, drawn-out sigh and uttered one word. “Finally.”
****
Julie Howard is the author of the Wild Crime series. She is a former journalist and editor who has covered topics ranging from crime to cowboy poetry. She is a member of the Idaho Writers Guild, editor of the Potato Soup Journal, and founder of the Boise chapter of Shut Up & Write. Learn more at juliemhoward.com.



11 comments:

DeeDee Lane said...

Great job for hanging in there! I believe some day your kids will say - hey I wonder if we could have those elves come back? Thanks for sharing your tradition.

Tena Stetler said...

You two went above and beyond to maintain Christmas spirit for your kids. Someday they will fondly remember the elves and the PJs. Thanks for sharing!

Colleen Driscoll said...

Someday your kids will go through the same thing and appreciate all you did to keep the magic of Christmas alive.

Diane Scott Lewis said...

My mom went all out for Christmas, and now I appreciate everything she did. Good post.

Nightingale said...

We tried to keep the Christmas magic going, but soon the oldest son guessed and told his younger brother. I agree that later the children will appreciate all that effort.

Mary Morgan said...

This so reminded me of one of our holiday traditions of leaving out cookies for Santa and carrots for his reindeer. We always held fast to this event, even when our youngest son was a teenager. My husband would nibble on the carrots and leave crumbs from the cookies on the plate. Little did we know that our son continued to "believe" in the magic when he was grown until we visited him at his apartment one Christmas morn. Our son greeted us at the door and ushered us inside. As he sprinted down the hallway to gather his coat and other items, my husband and I glanced around his living room. The placed sparkled with Christmas, including a plate with cookies and a few carrots on a table. A note was placed next to everything with this message: "Merry Christmas, Santa. Enjoy." I'll never forget that morning, and the magic my son brought back to me.

Kristal Harris said...

My husband was so disappointed when the kids quit believing, but only because he missed the cookies! Lol. I bake for him every Christmas now. Great memories!

Barbara Bettis said...

What a great post and tradition. The children finally figuring it out--maybe kind of a disappointment--mixed with relief. LOL. No matter how family traditions evolve, they're something remembered always. We still have such a tradition--even now, Santa leaves filled stockings by the tree for everyone at home that year. Even Grandma gets one--my teen grandchildren make sure to fill it for me.

Anonymous said...

This really made me chuckle. What a great sport your husband is. I must say, those elves went above and beyond!

Carol Henry said...

I'm all about traditions, and this one is awesome.

dlucas said...

Aww! It is so hard for our children to grow up. We have two teenage daughters (14 and 16) and it's hard to keep them jolly and full of jingle. When they were younger it was effortless. I do appreciate how hard you and your husband tried and think it's a trip how different his perspective was about them growing up. Cheers to Christmas with you preteens!