Wednesday, December 05, 2018

When Reindeer Magic happened by Abby Gordon



When I turned twenty-nine, life was nothing what I had thought it would be. I was a single mother with three sons, living with my parents. I was working full-time, taking a heavier than recommended load of classes to finish my degree, and exhausted. But you can’t ignore the season when you have children though so I tried.
Mom loves Christmas though and pulls everyone in whether you really want to or not. And she gives everyone lists.
One of the items on my list, with a specific date to do it was pick up the poinsettias and other floral needs. The older two were playing with friends and my youngest son, whose birthday is Christmas Day, needed Mommy time. He ooh’ed and aah’ed at all the street decorations. I could tell he was smiling and waving because of the reactions from pedestrians. A bright-eyed, smiling toddler is hard to resist, especially at Christmas time. Halfway there, I found myself smiling and waving as well.
The florist called out when we entered. Everything was ready and I diligently went through everything, comparing it to Mom’s list. The florist smiled at my son, asking if he was excited for Santa’s visit. My son nodded eagerly, saying we were going to be baking cookies that afternoon. The florist asked if he was putting out anything for the reindeer as Santa loved it when people remembered them.  My son shook his head. The florist chided me, hadn’t I told my son about the magic reindeer food?
OH, the look my son gave me! The florist said he had some extra, would my son like some? Big brown eyes lit up, then he asked about his older brothers giving some also. The man said he just so happened to have three extra bags of magic reindeer food. He went to the back as two assistants took everything to the car. Returning with three sandwich size baggies of oatmeal mixed with glitter, the man told my son that everyone in the family should throw some out in the yard to make sure Santa was extra happy. My son held the bags close, promising that he’d make sure everyone did.
Christmas Eve night arrived. My brothers were home. There was snow on the ground. My sons were so excited that I didn’t think they’d ever go to sleep. The cookies and milk were put on a special table by the fireplace and my youngest insisted we all troop onto the screen porch and throw the magic reindeer food. My brothers rolled their eyes but tossed. My parents and I did ours then my sons did the rest. My youngest practically dumped the rest of his bag on the top step. Convinced Santa would come and be very happy they’d remembered his deer, all three sons went to bed and fell asleep quickly.
They were also up before dawn. I’d been inspired the year before though and next to their pillows was a small Lego box for them to play with. My oldest could tell time though and announced when it was six. We trooped down the stairs where they first pounced on their uncles.  I went to the kitchen to start the coffee. Half grumbling about the hour, adults insisted on caffeine before anything else.
But my youngest was wild to see if the reindeer had liked the magic food. Putting my mug down, I picked him up and went onto the screened porch. His squeals brought everyone else to join us. The oatmeal was gone, leaving only the glitter twinkling in the porch light. Hoof prints bigger than any deer I’d seen in the area were in the snow. What delighted my youngest the most – on the second step were two prints, larger than even my brothers’ hands, and the oatmeal my son had dumped was gone.
Suspecting my father or brothers might have done something, I glanced at their faces but they were as stunned as the boys were.
My sons still remember the magic reindeer food.

I remember how Reindeer Magic gave me hope in something more.

Abby Gordon
http://abbygordonauthor.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Cat Dubie said...

What is sweet post, Abby. A lovely Christmas memory to share with your family forever. Thank you for sharing!
Cat

Laura Strickland said...

Abby, oh how I love this story! For me, it expresses the very magical heart of Christmas. I believe Santa's reindeer were on that top step, that night. I'll bet your son does, too. Merry Christmas.

DeeDee Lane said...

Lovely story Abby. What a treat for your family and for you. I think that florist was one of Santa's special friends. Thanks for sharing.

Tena Stetler said...

What a wonderful Christmas story Thank you so much for sharing reindeer magic!

ELF said...

What a sweet story. Of course, with my warped sense of humor...I pictured the magical poop that resulted from the consumption of these offerings, lol.

dlucas said...

What a magical story that gives even more reason to believe! Thank you for for sharing.

Happy holidays!