Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Christmas Strudel by Jana Richards



I’ve read that people are losing the skill of cooking. In this age of prepared, pre-packaged, pre-washed foods, a lot of the dishes our grandmothers made in days gone by have been lost to us. Nowhere is this more apparent to me than in the strudel I remember from Christmases past.
My great-grandparents and grandparents emigrated from Europe around the turn of the twentieth century, lured to Saskatchewan on the Canadian prairies by the promise of free land and a better life. They were Germans who had never lived in Germany, having been born in Galicia and Bukovina, then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, but now part of Poland and the Ukraine. They were simple farmers who arrived in Canada without much except a desire to own their own land and grow their own food.  Their desires were fulfilled on both counts.
In my childhood, Christmas was a time of church and food, with the emphasis on food. I remember gathering at my grandmother’s tiny house with my aunts and uncles and cousins on Christmas Eve. We’d arrive after the church Christmas concert to open presents and to eat. My maternal grandmother was a marvelous cook and took offence if every morsel wasn’t gobbled up. No one came away hungry from Granny’s table.
Christmas at Granny’s house wouldn’t be Christmas without two things: cabbage rolls and strudel.
Strictly speaking, cabbage rolls, or holubtsi, are thought of as a Ukrainian dish, but everyone in my family and community made them when I was growing up, even though we were of German descent. Though the Ukrainian version are often meatless and filled with rice, my grandmother’s cabbage rolls were made of a hearty combination of ground pork, long grained rice, diced onion and salt and pepper. The meat mixture was then rolled inside a leaf of sour cabbage and gently cooked until the rice was soft. Granny’s cabbage rolls were the best.
The Christmas strudel was usually made long before Christmas and then frozen until the holidays. Granny had a wooden table that could be extended with leaves to become eight feet long. I have memories of my grandmother, my mother and my aunts gently pulling the strudel dough across this table until it stretched from one end to another, all the while taking care not to tear the delicate dough. Once it was stretched to near transparency, my grandmother would cover the dough with slices of apple and bits of raisin, dot it liberally with butter, and sprinkle the whole thing with sugar and cinnamon. Then the painstaking job of rolling the strudel would begin. Each aunt would take her position at one part of the strudel and they would roll in unison until they reached the end. This long roll was then cut into sections and distributed among the aunts. When baked, the result was a flaky, fragrant, delicious concoction that melted in the mouth. I looked forward to it every Christmas.
When I give you the ingredients for Christmas strudel, it comes from my memory of the taste and what I remember seeing.  As far as I know Granny had no written recipe.  She could barely read and write, at least in English. I have no idea how that flaky, phyllo type dough was created. I know my mother never made strudel on her own after Granny passed away and as far as I know, neither did my aunts. When Granny died, the Christmas strudel died with her.
Fortunately, the cabbage rolls fared better. My mother and aunts, and now me, my sister-in-law and cousins, all learned to make our family staple. Like my grandmother, I don’t have a written recipe, instead preferring the tried and true method of mixing ingredients until it feels just right. This Christmas my daughters and I will get together around the kitchen table make cabbage rolls and debate who rolls the prettiest ones. It wouldn’t be Christmas without them.

Jana Richards

Laugh. Cry. Love. Feel the Romance

15 comments:

dlucas said...

I love your descriptions of how the family made strudel. I LOVE strudel but have never attempted to make it. It's a team effort. I am Serbian so strudel and stuffed cabbage (sarma) are staples at our Christmas dinners. There are many church ladies who make both and sell it. It's great that you have kept the stuffed cabbage tradition. Have a wonderful holiday!

Mary Morgan said...

Oh, my! What a wonderful memory and traditions. I never follow a recipe either. I'm always tweaking it to suit my own preferences. After reading your post, I'm hungry for strudel. Happy Holidays, Jana!

DeeDee Lane said...

What a wonderful memory Jana! I made strudel with my Grandmother and for a while kept up the tradition but haven't made it in years. Enjoy your holiday cabbage rolls.

Cadence said...

Happy holidays! My father's side of the family made strudel and stuffed cabbage. My mother mastered the stuffed cabbage, but refused to learn how to make strudel. The extent of her baking was a "dump cake" -- put it all together and hope for the best! Cheers!

CB Clark said...

Eating lots of wonderful, home-made food is a great part of Christmas. Thank you for reminding me of the many tastes of the Season. Merry Christmas.

Julie Howard said...

Wonderful post. I agree, many family recipes slip away. I love streudel and was hoping you’d recreate the recipe for us! Hopefully you will write it down someday as you make it.

Jana Richards said...

Hi dlucas. I loved my Granny's strudel. I wish I knew how to make it from scratch, but one of these days I'd like to try to make it using store bought phyllo pastry. I'm hoping it comes close. Thanks for commenting. Merry Christmas!

Jana Richards said...

Mary, I'm not a good enough cook to not follow a recipe! Thinking about strudel makes me hungry for it, too! Have a great holiday.

Jana Richards said...

DeeDee, I never actually made strudel with my Granny. I was more an observer. How I wish I could go back and bake with her, and hopefully remember to write down the recipe!

Jana Richards said...

Cadence, my mother was a wonderful cook and baker, but she never made strudel after Granny died. I have no idea why. Your mother sounds like my kind of baker! Happy Holidays!

Jana Richards said...

C.B. eating those special treats that only get made at Christmas is one of the best parts of Christmas! Have a Happy Christmas!

Colleen Driscoll said...

The strudel sounds delicious. My great-grandparents were from Germany so this recipe is calling me to make it. Thanks for sharing it!

Barbara Bettis said...

Oh, goodness, I'd never try to make Strudel, but it sounds not only delicious but a fantastic women-of-the-family tradition. How special the memory--of the dish and the making of it. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas.

Tena Stetler said...

What a wonderful Christmas memories. Too bad the recipe and art of making strudel was lost. Thanks so much for sharing! Merry Christmas!

Jana Richards said...

Remembering my Granny making strudel is one of my favorite memories, Barbara. Especially at this time of year. Tena, I wish I would have written down that recipe. I really regret that.