Sunday, December 02, 2018

Happy Holidays from Gail Kittleson


Years ago, we feasted on all things sweet during Christmas. Here’s me (the youngest) in a REALLY old photograph from the fifties.



Now, being gluten, lactose, and refined sugar-free, my palate has changed (not my family’s. That’s why I’m including a recipe that provides a little treat for folks like me when everybody else is enjoying luscious decorated Christmas cookies and the like during this time.
These aren’t anything out of the ordinary, but it’s nice to have them around when you’re salivating for just something.

I love to bake with our granddaughter, and we create all the usual goodies together. But when it comes time to indulge, she’s my “taster,” and I resort to my standby, biscotti. You can make this recipe as crisp as you like, add dried cranberries for a little Christmas cheer, and unsweetened raw coconut for more texture. 

These are great for dipping in a cup of hot tea while everyone else sips whipped cream- marshmallow-hot chocolate!

Gluten-free Biscotti
2 large eggs
1/4 c real maple syrup
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 t almond flavoring
1 T orange zest
MIX ABOVE TOGETHER

Mix together the dry ingredients below.
3 1/2 c. almond flour
1 t soda
2 t cinnamon
1/2 c slivered almonds
1/8 t salt 
ADD TO FIRST MIXTURE

Stir and add 1/3 c. coconut oil. 

Shape into logs and place on parchment paper-lined
baking sheet. Bake at 340 degrees for 20-25. minutes.

Remove from oven, cool. Cut into 1/2 inch slices, and
then return them to baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 mins
at 300 degrees, depending on how crisp you like them. 




12 comments:

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Sounds yummy!

Colleen said...

Looks easy enough. Thanks for sharing!

Starra said...

Gail - I love that photo! So sweet and nostalgic. I'm not gluten free, but I still want to try your recipe too! Happy Holidays.

Carol Henry said...

What a great recipe for the holidays, Gail. We have several gluten free family members, and I bake a lot of cookies with the grandgirls, so this would be a great recipe to add to our list. BTW, love the old photo--brings back memories. Hope you have a lovely holiday season.

Cyndie Zahner said...

Thank you! I’m gluten free for over 8 years. Keeping these!

Ilona Fridl said...

Looks good even from someone who does not have those food restrictions!

DeeDee Lane said...

Looks delish! And you go girl at making nutrition changes that make you feel better! Tea is just as good as hot chocolate! Especially a nice Earl Grey or Rooibus.

Mary Morgan said...

Oh, yum! I'd love to have one with my coffee right now! Wishing you a Happy Holiday season, Gail. Thanks for sharing.

ELF said...

Nice! I love all of the recipes you folks have shared in the cookbook, it makes me ambitious, lol. Happy Holidays!

CB Clark said...

Thanks for the recipe for gluten free biscotti. I have a daughter-in-law who struggles with gluten. These sound delicious.

dlucas said...

Thank you for sharing the gluten free recipe which looks delicious. I will share this with my sister whose daughter has food restrictions. I love your black and white photo! Happy holidays!

Tena Stetler said...

Sounds Yummy! Thanks for sharing!