Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Santa's Boots by Starra Andrews




As far back as I can remember my family had a real visit from Santa Clause every Christmas Eve.  My aunt, uncle, and cousins would come over and after an elegant meal, we were sent to a back bedroom to await Santa’s visit.  They told us he could not come if little children were watching him.  Hence—the bedroom waiting period. 

Hushed voices could be heard and traditionally one of the older kids would read us Twas the Night Before Christmas while we waited.  With sizzling excitement we screamed, sang, and hollered through the reading of that classic story.  The preteen saddled with the arduous task of babysitting had to calm us down by constantly reminding that Santa would not arrive if we didn’t behave.

Finally, the shouts of adults welcoming Santa traveled down the hallway.  Ho Ho Ho and two mighty boot stomps held us in breathless anticipation.  Suddenly, the voices cheered and shouted “Goodbye Santa!” just before we ran free.  Presents abounded across the shag rug and almost reached the sliding glass door on the opposite wall.

But the best part was when the grown-ups led us to the fireplace and we gazed upon two large boot prints in the charcoal ashes.  Inhaling gasps of amazement and delight, I discovered years later that my Uncle Kenny made those boot prints each year and put on extra-large black boots just for the occasion.

Thank you Uncle Kenny for making one of my most cherished memories from childhood and I look forward to doing the same for the next generation.


Starra Andrews

15 comments:

Mary Morgan said...

Oh how I loved your treasured childhood memory, Starra! Happy Holidays!

Unknown said...

What a sweet memory to have and carry forward! Thanks for sharing. All the best, Cat

dlucas said...

What a delightful story about Santa's footprints. It's amazing how much magic adults can create for children during Christmas. Have a great holiday season.

Sadira Stone said...

What a sweet story! Merry Christmas, Starra.

Charlotteoshayauthor.com said...

Lovely post. Christmas is magic for children and the adults who are young at heart.

Cadence said...

A creative way to handle Santa. A sweet memory. Cheers!

CB Clark said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas. A visit from Santa would be so exciting. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas.

Barbara Bettis said...

What a wonderful memory, Starra. Great family tradition!! Merry Christmas :)

Colleen Driscoll said...

How awesome. I remember something similar happening with my family. My mother would always "know" when the weather was snowy enough in the mountains of Pennsylvania for Santa to come for a visit before Christmas and my eight siblings and I would sit on his lap and tell him what we wanted for Christmas. I never knew as a kid that my own dad and later my uncle was the jolly old elf.

Ilona Fridl said...

Bless the family who makes Christmas magical for the children. Great post!

Dianne said...

Starra, thank you for sharing. What wonder parents, and Uncle Kenny. I hope you do continue the tradition. Happy holidays.

ELF said...

That sounds like a wonderful way to share the magic of Christmas. Thanks for sharing.

Tena Stetler said...

wow what a wonderful tradition. You had very creative parents/family. What a fun way to wait for Santa! Thank you so much for sharing!

Corinne said...

A very lovely memory! I love the footprints in the ashes. A sweet short story

Unknown said...

So much love here. These are the memories we live for.