Saturday, June 09, 2007

Since We're Introducing Ourselves...

I'm Bronwyn and a new writer with TWRP, and really excited to be here. I sat here, debating what I should say in the post, what to talk about...I figure I'll stay away from really introducing myself, because I have this terrible tendency to ramble and get off the beaten path of introductions, which totally reminds me of this great trail I took this morning in the woods...

What I really wanted to post and tell you guys about is this great (and slightly disturbing, depending on how you look at it) movie I saw last night: Pan's Labyrinth. It's a Spanish movie with subtitles, takes place in Spain 1940s and centers around Ofelia, a 10-12 year old girl whose mother remarries a Captain in the army.

Don't let the CGI and fairies fool you, this is not a movie for kids. It's R-rated for gore, and although there were only two scenes that I thought were violent, they were disturbing enough to warrant the R-rating.

The movie is narrated by Pan, who tells us that in the Underworld, the Princess was so taken by the world above her, she escaped to see it. Blinded by the sun, she forgot who and what she was, and the plot centers around Ofelia's quest to prove she's that Princess.

It's not the best synopsis, but to say more risks ruining the story.

The reason I wanted to post about it was because of the following: Show not Tell. As writers, we're always trying to adhere to this, and I wanted to suggest the movie to you as a resource to use.

Whomever wrote this story deserves some kind of Show not Tell award. Within two minutes, we know the villains, the heroes, and none of it is explicitly stated, but the way the screen-writer shows character, is nothing short of amazing.

For example, the captain. The story opens with Ofelia and her very pregnant, very sick mother being driven to the camp deep in the heart of the woods. Ofelia's never met her new father, so as viewers, we're wondering what kind of man he is.

This is how the we find out:
One of the sergeants says to him, "Your wife has arrived."
He looks at his watch and says, "Yes, and fifteen minutes late."

And he says it in this really emotionless, dead, I Don't Care That My Wife Almost Died Just Trying To Get To Me way. I turned to my husband and said, "He's evil. I hope he dies."

LOL, not that I'm easily swayed or anything.

I won't go further, but for those authors who are looking for resources to hone their craft, I heartily recommend this movie...and for those who are like me, and can't handle gory scenes, I'd be happy to give you the head's up on the parts when you can shut your eyes and plug your ears!

PS
It does have a happy ending. And if there's anyone out there who's seen the movie, I'd love to chat about it 'cause there's so much great imagery and I'd like to ask someone, "Hey, what do you think this meant, or that stood for?"

2 comments:

Allie Boniface said...

Oh, I've heard great things about this movie from a lot of people. Guess I better put it on my To See list for the summer!

lacey kaye said...

Haven't seen it yet, but when I do I'll look you up!