Monday, January 26, 2015

How not to propose...

Laura Freeman
Impending Love and War

In Impending Love and War heroine Courtney Beecher wants Douglas Raymond to propose so she can turn him down. It doesn't go as easily as planned.

"When other men have proposed to me, they at least compliment me. You didn't even do that." She fanned herself with quick, agitated strokes.

Douglas looked stunned. "I'm sorry."

"Oh, don't apologize!" she snapped. Douglas cowered as if she'd struck him. He looked so scared that Cory had to fight the urge to soften her words. She closed her fan and smacked it against her palm. "It's too late. Why no self-respecting woman would say yes to such a proposal. A woman expects flowers, flattery, and a declaration of love from the man she marries. In fact, I don't believe you love me at all. I believe you're still in love with someone else."

Douglas shook his head. "No, that isn't true."

Cory raised her voice not only in volume but to an annoyingly high pitch. "Don't lie to me, Mr. Raymond. I won't be trifled with. I saw how you looked at Beth Davis when we were having supper the other night," Cory accused. "You couldn't take your eyes off of her. You still have feelings for her, don't you?"

"I have the highest regard for Miss Davis but..."

"Don't say another word." Cory emphasized the words with a slap of her closed fan on his shoulder. "I could never take second place in a man's heart."

"But she turned me down when I proposed."

"Proposed?" she gasped. "If you asked Beth to marry you the way you proposed to me, it's no wonder she turned you down."

Read more in Impending Love & War published by The Wild Rose Press http://goo.gl/tqyeQN
@LauraFreeman_RP

Facebook.com/Laura.Freeman.5648

Authorfreeman.Wordpress.com

No comments: