Friday, February 04, 2022

Welcome RR Rowley - Author interview

Hello RR


Congratulations on your new release. 

Tell us a bit about you.

How do you deal with writers block?

 

Fortunately, writers block has not been a big problem for me, except for all the years I put off writing at all. I find that if I just get started writing, somewhere in the manuscript, even if it is to review, the process engages me. I enter what I call the zone, let go, and resist the inner critics from dominating. Having a special place to work is not a concern. I can write anywhere.

 

How did you come up with the title? (for Toxic Soup)

 

As I studied the chemical make up of the nuclear waste contained in the tanks at Hanford, it seemed to be a horrible, noxious soup that later became an imagined entity.

 

How much of the book is realistic?

 

Everything to do with Hanford is unfortunately realistic. The accident concerning Charley is made up, but derived from past incidents at the site. All of the characters in the novel are drawn from people types found in the setting; the Columbia River Gorge, and the totemic and haunting elements are as realistic as one chooses to believe.

 

When you wrote this book, did you have an idea of how it would end at the beginning?

 

No, I wasn’t sure how the book should end but an idea came in a dream. One that connected several threads of story running through the novel. I knew what Casey and Little Bear planned to do but was unsure of the last chapter. I like stories that have conclusions and don’t just fritter off. If they are surprises, all the better.

 

What phrase in the book are you most proud of?

 

In terms of meaning for the book, I like: “ A taste of their own medicine”.

 

What did you edit out of the book?

 

Originally, I had more exciting kayak runs on white water rivers.

 

and now for some fun questions.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I knew I wanted to do something creative. I thought of writing but felt I needed to get experiences. Traveling down that path, getting experiences, I wore creative hats of different shapes until coming back to the joy of writing.


What makes you cry?

 Noble acts in life, books, movies, or theater. The loss of friends and family and pets. I’m not a big crier but I do cry and feel deeply.

 

What makes you laugh?

I tend to laugh at physical comedy. Witty and clever gets more of a snicker.


 What is your favorite time of year?

 The freshness, fragrance, beauty of blooms, and the promise of renewal makes springtime my favorite season.


 What is your favorite comfort food?

 That has to be any form of potato, although I have to watch the glycemic index of those tempting but satisfying treats.

Find out more sbout RR at

www.rrrowley.com

and on Twitter @rrrowleywrites

Find Toxic Soup on Pre-order on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QRCZNX5




No comments: