Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The trials of making a book trailer


The last few days have been a real learning experience for me. I've spend hours making a video, trying to get everything just right.

First my timing messed up so my tiles overlapped.

Then there is the music. Where do you find the perfect song to add for the background? When you find it, how do you cut it to end with the video?

And pictures. I searched a lot of the free royalty image sites, but when I get ready to download there is the mention of credits. I have no credits. How do I get them? Money of course. I admit there are a few sites where they are actually free, but I couldn't find everything I needed there.I got an account at fotolia. A dollar a picture. That's not bad. So, with my paypal account I buy 30 credits. I download six pictures and notice I only have 4 credits left. How can that be? For the smallest size, they're all a dollar each, right? I double check and the cowboy I downloaded was 20 credits. TWENTY DOLLARS!!! And he needs a shave and a haircut. My husband and son have made rude remarks about him all week.As a last resort, I went through my personal picture files and found three pictures I'd taken myself. From now on I plan to have my camera with me in case I see something I might someday want in a video. I tried to get my son to dress up like a cowboy for a picture, but he wasn't interested.
I've trashed two trailers. Last night I made the third and hope it's a charm. Good luck out there making yours. Thank you Michele and everyone else who've offered advice, recommended sites, etc. Hopefully some of your tech savvy will wear off on me. Check out trailer at www.myspace.com/lindalaroqueauthor


Linda

5 comments:

Barbara Scott said...

I couldn't find your trailer at your link. Is it still there? Did you use your $20 cowboy?

Linda LaRoque said...

Ouch, you couldn't find it? Did you scroll down under the banners? Yes, I did use the $20 cowboy, but added sepia tone to him and several other clips. Hope you can see it.
Linda

Barbara Scott said...

Ahhh, I found it this time! Well done. Your $20 cowboy looks cool in sepia peeking out from under the writing. I enjoyed your blog. A writer has to be a jill of all trades these days.

Christine Clemetson said...

Great video! Your hard work paid off! I love the pictures.
Christine C.

Linda LaRoque said...

Thanks Barbara and Christine C. I'm pleased with the final product and working on another one. I'm a glutton for punishment! LOL!
Thanks for responding.
Linda