Friday, October 10, 2014

The Stuff of Dreams

With surprising frequency, I get story ideas from my dreams. I'll wake up in the morning and hurry to write down the vivid setting or scene which I have just experienced. These nuggets of inspiration are particularly powerful, since I have been immersed in them as a participant...inside the story, so to speak.

That is how I came to develop Dragon Wife, my current release with The Wild Rose Press. I popped awake one morning, having dreamed myself as the heroine, Orwenna. She encounters a magnificent dragon-shifter chieftain, falls for him, and then learns he plans to marry her cousin. It was such a striking experience, full of intense emotions and possibility. I just had to write it down. One thing led to another, and I found myself with a novel.

Last month, I dreamed the beginning of a multiple-worlds fantasy story, and by the time I’d written ten pages of notes, I realized it will actually be a series. Who knows where this gem of an idea came from? Honestly, it feels like a magical gift, popped into my sleeping mind.

Have you ever received inspiration from a dream? Do you think it came from your own subconscious, or is there a possibility we can touch some larger truth or reality in our dreams? I’m curious to know what others think about this.

Diana Green
http://www.dianagreenbooks.com

No comments: