Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Welcome L.B. Griffin - author of Secrets, Shame, and a Shoebox

 Hello L.B.


Welcome to garden. Have a seat and tell us about you and your book.


1.  Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?

I have a plot, but the characters in my head are doing such a dance to get their story out there I have to stop, listen to them, and write what they want me to! So, I guess the answer is I have the idea of a plot, and then the characters lead me on the rest of the way.

 

2.  Are your characters based on real people?

No. My characters are all a figment of my imagination.  Though of course, it would be wrong to say that I’ve been sitting on a desert island. Life experience has shared a gift. I’ve met wonderful, courageous, extraordinary people. Stories of survival are woven into the very fabric of life and that’s where I find them.  

Have you ever cried while writing a book? Hmm.

Yes. Got a lump in my throat for sure. Don’t tell anyone though.

3.  What's your favorite book you've written?

I really got my stuck into writing Secrets, Shame and a Shoebox, which I actually wanted to see as a whole. But now it has been separated into two, due to its original length, I can see the benefit, for the reader as much as myself.

4.  Do you have set times during the day that you write?

I used to get up at 6.00 a.m. before the day job, realise the time was flying by and had to fling on my coat and shoot out, sometimes half dressed! Now I’ve retired, I can take it bit easier, but get totally absorbed and lose time so easily.

5.  What was the hardest chapter/book to finish and why?

First chapter is definitely the worst, simply because it needs to grab the attention of the reader and publisher to want to read on. I can’t tell you how many re-writes I’ve done as I’m never satisfied. Just ask any writer. Come to think about it the last chapter is just as hard!

 

What tips would you give a new writer?

For what this is worth:

1.  Always follow your dream. Never give up. I did it. I’m a granny with plans to trek the world when I retired. Then when I retired, I was given a contract for my debut novel! Now I have a whole new career!

2.  Join creative writing groups to improve your craft. Writing is a lonely occupation, be around other writers will help you feel more balanced.

3.   Being critiqued is the hardest thing because you can feel very exposed when reading your work. Just know no matter how hard it is to hear someone else POV on your work. Listen and reflect, because somewhere in that viewpoint you will often find a treasure that will help improve your writing.

4.   Read, read, and read some more!

And now for a little fun...


What's the most blatant lie you've ever told?

Not sure I should tell you. So, I won’t. Sorry. You’ll just have to make it up.

Who do you see as a hero/heroine in your life?

If it doesn’t sound too soppy – definitely my husband.

If you were going to commit the perfect murder, how would you go about it?

Murder is shared within the pages of my book and purely fictional. I couldn’t think of anything worse than planning to take a life. But I guess NOT getting caught would be the answer!

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I was told what I had to be and did as I was told. I’ve changed direction many times since.

Do you have a favorite quote? “In a gentle way you can shake the world.” Mahatma Gandhi.

What song would best describe your life? “Give me sunshine.” Eric and Ernie Wise

What is your favorite drink? Oddly right now, just water. But I do love a good Prosecco.

Do you ever wish that you had an entirely uncreative job, like data entry or working in a factory?

No. I’ve done all the above and loads more, like bar work, school kitchens and cleaning and enjoyed it. Whatever work I’ve taken on has never bothered me. Writing is a lonely occupation. What I will say the people in those jobs were usually wildly entertaining and added to my understanding of life. So, I thank them for making life fun, varied and interesting.

You can erase one embarrassing experience from your past. What will it be?

There are loads, but I remember being sixteen going on seventeen. The elastic in my knickers gave way and fell down in front of a group of men in a builders yard. I stepped out of them. Picked them up and walked out with my head up high as if it were the most natural thing in the world. I’ve never forgotten it though and still cringe now.

Has the dog ever eaten your manuscript?

Don’t have a dog at the moment. Never let a dog, or especially a puppy near your work!

Do you enjoy giving interviews?

No. I like interviewing others 😊. If I could have time to write the answers way before, then that would be my perfect interview.

 

Do you laugh at your own jokes?

No, but yes. I smile and giggle a lot when I try to tell a joke – I usually pick up a thread about something spoken about earlier and find the funny side a little later on.  I said I have a weird sense of humour.

Are you fun to go on vacation with?

I’d like to think I am. I went away with a group of girls for a sixtieth which was absolutely mad, and many educational residentials which left us in stitches.

 

Have you ever found true love?

Yes. I think I’m one of the fortunate ones – a blind date led me to 45 years of happy marriage. Hang on a minute, no wonder, he’s still wearing the mask and headphones!

Are you jealous of other writers?

No. Why be jealous. It’s so hard to write and get it right, I’m only too pleased when they succeed.

What makes you cry? A soppy movie. A rom com. You name it. If you look carefully I can be found surreptitiously wiping a tear from the corner of my eye. Currently there’s a weekly programme – Long Lost Family, now that’s a real tearjerker.

What makes you laugh? Most things. Silly comments, a joke, reading between the lines, my husband, my grandchildren, my children, friends. They can all get me going. I’ve the weirdest sense of humour. Sometimes I find myself giggling when no-one else can see the funny side and everyone thinks I’m loopy. I can handle that!

What are you ashamed of?

Not having enough time for everyone I love and wishing I’d had been a better person.

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?

“Dangerous person inside this bottle, shake until thoroughly dizzy. Stand back and wait for the explosion.”

Do you have any hobbies?

Painting. Walking. Socializing. Reading.

If you were a tool what would you be? A hammer.

What is your favorite comfort food? Curry, or a roast dinner with all the trimmings.

What is your favorite time of year and why?

Spring: For me I love the light. Perfectly balanced, new, and beautiful. Gorgeous for painting and seeing what a wonderful world we live in.

What is the one question you wish an interviewer would ask you? What would be my advice be for budding writers.

Who would I like to be. A superhero.

If you could have three wishes granted, what would you wish for?

Three more wishes. Well you did ask 😊

Everyone to be happy and healthy

Sharing, kindness, not greed

 

Who's more fun, bad boys or perfect gentlemen? Or Bad Girl or a lady?

Bad boys, bad girls. Though I do love a gentleman, he might be naughty and that would be fun.

If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would be the most essential for you?

The complete works of an easy to follow Do-It-Yourself manual. A massive box of matches, because I don’t know how to build a fire and a solar radio.

Tell us where we can find you

Find out more about Secrets, Shame, and a Shoebox at all major online retailers  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0971T3RGC

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/secrets-shame-and-a-shoebox-l-b-griffin/1139665998

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Shame-Shoebox-L-Griffin-ebook/dp/B0971T3RGC

www.thewildrosepress.com

Blackwells UK




No comments: