Sunday, December 09, 2018

A Blue Christmas by Ginger Dehlinger

The festival of lights we associate with the Christmas season usually includes some combination of Macy’s red, angel white or evergreen, so why am I drawn to the less common blue? My favorite color is lavender, with yellow a close second, so I almost never wear blue unless it’s blue denim, and I don’t have more than an occasional splash of blue anywhere in my home. But whenever I see a blue light, be it Christmas or otherwise, I feel a softness behind my eyes that makes me stop and stare. It isn’t just any shade of blue that has this hold on me. I don’t know if it even has a name. I would best describe it as ethereal cobalt, or the blue of a delphinium blossom in the noonday sun.

The first time I remember seeing this color and experiencing a strange attraction to it was in my childhood home where we owned one string of multi-colored Christmas lights that didn’t blink, twinkle or bubble, and only one of which was blue. Every year we selected a Christmas tree larger than Charlie Brown’s but not so tall as to look underdressed wearing a single string of lights. To protect the tree’s needles we put small, star-shaped aluminum collars around the bulbs before screwing them into their sockets. I positioned the bulbs just so to prevent their collars from obscuring the full effect of the light, and then always made sure I could see the blue one from wherever I was sitting.

On the rare evenings our parents were out of the house, my sisters and I would darken the living room and experience the magic of this radiant tree that prettified our modest home for a few weeks each year. No one spoke, each sister absorbed in her own thoughts, mine soothed by the one blue light that held my gaze.

By the time I was married and had a house of my own, the traditional string of multi-colored lights had become passé. I decorated my Christmas trees with strings of clear, twinkling lights meant, I suppose, to replicate sparkling snowflakes or stars on a winter’s night.

I live in Bend, Oregon where Sarah Street is a virtual wonderland of lights during the month of December. One of the properties on that street was for many years bedecked in hundreds of blue lights. They trimmed the roofline, windows, and doors of the house and glowed in the branches of the trees and bushes in the front yard. I used to drive over there as often as I could during the most hectic season of the year, and sit in the dark like I did as a child, filling my soul with the blue serenity that lessened my stress.

When I drove over there last Christmas, most of the houses on Sarah Street were dressed for the season, but not a single light illuminated the house of blue. I wanted to check with the neighbors to find out if the people living there had moved, and if so, get their new address. But I was busy as usual, and with no blue light fix that year, I feel a blue Christmas coming on.

I had never shared this blue light fascination with my husband —it just didn’t seem important until my favorite place to enjoy Christmas lights went dark. So I told him about the one string of lights I grew up with, and while I was out shopping one day he wrapped a string of blue lights around a pole outside our kitchen window. That night he left the dinner table for a minute and turned them on. When I carried the dishes to the sink my heart swelled and tears welled at the beautiful sight. Now I bask in this mesmerizing color every night, spending longer than probably necessary to do the dishes. 

Ginger Dehlinger
“fiction embraced by fact”
Brute Heart
Never Done


14 comments:

Barbara Bettis said...

What a wonderful memory--and terrific husband! Your story of blue lights reminded me of my mother's love for blue Christmas lights. Before she and my step-father were married, we always had only blue lights on our Christmas tree. Later, however, our trees had the multi=colored strings. and even though my neighbors now have clear-light nets on their shrubbery and a huge tree covered with clear bulbs--I still string my multi-colors. Merry Christmas, whatever color lights your fancy LOL.

Julie Howard said...

Ginger, This is a lovely story. How very thoughtful of your husband! I wish you a wonderfully blue Christmas season.

Carol Henry said...

Awww, what a sweetheart. Such wonderful memories. Enjoy your blue glow.

Starra said...

Ginger - your husband is a Christmas hero! I love blue lights as well and am always drawn to them. Thanks for sharing such a warm glowing memory.

Tena Stetler said...

What a fantastic memory and so sweet of your husband! I to have a fascination with Christmas lights only mine is with multicolored lights. When I was younger, I used to try to guess what color light would blink next not sure what my odds were then of being right but it’s a fond memory of laying under the tree or beside it trying to guess. Thanks so much for sharing!

Mary Morgan said...

What a treasured memory, Ginger, and made more special by your husband. Happy Holidays!

M. S. Spencer said...

After church on Christmas Eve we used to drive around the neighborhood checking out the lights. One of our favorite houses was completely covered with blue lights.

Kristal Harris said...

This brought tears! What a thoughtful husband. We decorated our house in blue and white one year and loved it. Maybe next year that sweet husband will cover your home in blue! Merry Christmas!

Ilona Fridl said...

The things that touch our soul are interesting. Enjoy the blue Christmas lights!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

This post is so lovely. I love to drive around and look at lights. Like the small tree in front of a house I passed several times during the week. The branches were fiery red and the trunk neon green. Now, the tree is so much larger and isn't lit any more.

DeeDee Lane said...

What a wonderful thing your husband did for you. So special. Thanks for sharing. Christmas lights are so magical. I agree 100%

Colleen Driscoll said...

I wonder how many people have stopped to ponder about a favorite Christmas tree light color. I've noticed the brilliant green lights that seem to shine at a bright hue, but blue is calming to the soul.

CB Clark said...

Loved your post. My dad put up all blue lights on our house one Christmas...I loved it. Thanks for sharing.

dlucas said...

I love blue lights at Christmas! How sweet that your husband treated your memories with just a strand of blue. Happy holidays!