Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Christmas Traditions


I love Christmas, it’s such a special, magical time of year. I love the carols, the decorations, and the sense of camaraderie and friendship – such a pity that doesn’t spread to everyone, everywhere, for the rest of the year! My husband and I have several Christmas traditions. I really enjoy putting up decorations, dressing the tree, and covering the rooms with tiny twinkling lights, ‘snow’ and little rustic woodland animals on the windowsills, with angels dotted around, a little nativity scene, and a snowy ‘miniature teddy bear grotto’, as well as putting coloured lights all along our fence, sparkling icicle lights around the roof, and illuminated models of reindeer, miniature blossom trees, and a little unicorn, all with fairy lights, in front of the house. However, I don’t like to start decorating too early. I reckon about ten days before Christmas is just about right – I’m really starting to get into the Christmas spirit and feeling festive by then!

About the middle of the month, we go shopping for a Christmas tree at the Christmas tree farm – I think there is nothing like a real Christmas tree! Our local Christmas tree farm grows trees especially for Christmas, and is environmentally friendly, taking old trees for recycling, after Christmas, and using two lovely Shire horses to bring the felled trees in. They have a Christmas shop, selling a huge variety of Christmas tree decorations and accessories, with a full sized Santa and sleigh, and realistic woodland animals dotted around, while outside is Santa’s workshop, where the elves can be seen working away making the toys for Christmas.

Another treat we like to give ourselves, is to the Christmas ‘light show’ at a local Stately Home. Last year the theme was animals. In the grounds were illuminated statues of horses, dogs, deer, exotic birds – and a gigantic blue and purple dragon. The gardens were all absolutely beautiful and magical, with the trees also decked out in coloured lights.

Inside house the theme was continued, with Christmas trees in all the the various rooms, and animals of all shapes and sizes, including a unicorn, many elephants and a nearly life-sized zebra pulling a card loaded with holly. The tables in each room were laid out for a banquet with little animals among the silverware, and tiny butterflies scattered everywhere. The children were told to count how many elephants there were altogether. I have to admit we lost count ourselves! This year the theme will be ‘Masquerades’ so I’m expecting lots of colourful masks and a carnival atmosphere. Can’t wait.

With the Christmas tree decked out in all its glory, lights twinkling everywhere, my collection of little teddies enjoying their snowy grotto, and fairy lights around the windows, complementing the little animals, candles and snow covered houses on the windowsills. I put on marzipan and frosting and decorate the Christmas cakes I’ve made for us and my sisters in my beloved native Wales. Then we’re off on our annual ‘Santa run’ to visit my family in Wales for a few days, and take them their gifts. This is something I look forward to all year.

Finally, just before Christmas, we visit the local garden centre, which is beautifully decorated with all things Christmassy. Last year they had a ‘Narnia’ theme. This is a picture of me looking as if I’ve just walked through the wardrobe, to be watched over by Jadis, the White Witch, looking very stern, if very beautiful. Good job Aslan is there to protect me!


Wishing all the Roses and staff who work so hard behind the scenes, a wonderful Christmas season and a fantastic and fulfilling New Year.


Beloved Enemy - Shortlisted for RoNA (RNA) Awards 2017 
Runner up in the  RONE  Awards and Winner of 'Best Banter Contest' 2017
The Destiny Trilogy - (First two books now in audio) Available from 
The Wild Rose Press and Amazon  Book 3 'Beloved Enemy' soon to be available in Audio
Join my Newsletter
                   

18 comments:

Barbara Bettis said...

I loved hearing about your Christmas traditions and other activities. What a wonderful round of fun. Your home sounds as if it's delightfully festive! I's love to see the Shire horses pulling in the Christmas trees. We used to always have fresh trees too. I can actually recall thinking I'd Never! have an artificial tree. Never say never. Now that I live alone, I finally invested in one. the place doesn't have the same ambiance, but it's so much easier to deal with! Thanks for sharing your traditions.

Julie Howard said...

I loved hearing about your Christmas traditions. Your home sounds lovely, all lit up and with your favorite decorations. I add something to our collection every year and now, after so many years, I wonder if I should pare down a bit. But the lights and colors are so cheerful, aren’t they? Thank you for sharing!

Laura Strickland said...

Oh, what a picture you create of pure enchantment! I wish I could experience a Christmas in Wales, just once. And I'd love to see those Shire horses pulling the trees out of the farm. Have a lovely, cozy, Christmassy Christmas!

Diane Scott Lewis said...

Sounds like so much fun, and I love the White Witch.

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Such beautiful traditions, and lovely that you get to go home to Wales as well!

M. S. Spencer said...

I love the idea of a Narnia theme! You reminded me to watch the first movie again--one of the most beautiful films ever.

Sadira Stone said...

You are so creative! Good at description, too. I'm with you on waiting until mid-December to unfurl the Christmas ornaments. Happy holidays to you and yours.

Jana Richards said...

Yum. Christmas cake with marzipan. Sounds yummy. My mom used to make fruit cakes every Christmas but I've never once made one. I seem to be the only in the family who likes them! Have a wonderful Christmas.

Darcy said...

After reading your glorious description I've put Wales at Christmas on my bucket list. And yes, if given half a chance I will definitely always have marzipan on my cake.

Hywela Lyn said...

Thanks so much for your kind comments everyone, I'm so glad you enjoyed the post. I can definitely recommend a visit to rural Wales, the countryside is really beautiful, especially at his time of year with all the little villages decorated for Christmas.
Nadolig Llawen everyone (Welsh for Merry Christmas)

Colleen Driscoll said...

I love reading about different Christmas traditions and seeing similarities between the different countries. Thank you for describing your traditions so well.

Tena Stetler said...

I really enjoyed your post learning about all your different traditions. Thanks so much for sharing! Merry Christmas Lyn!

ELF said...

What lovely traditions! I particularly like that Narnia display, what fun! Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Reviews By Crystal said...

That sounds like a lot of fun :)

Mary Morgan said...

I loved reading about your Christmas traditions, Lyn! And the picture is fabulous! We, too, wait until the middle of the month to get our tree. I love the smell of fresh pine. Wishing you a Happy Christmas!

Hywela Lyn said...

Thanks so much to everyone - I really appreciate your comments and am so glad you enjoyed my post - Happy Christmas to you all!

dlucas said...

I loved reading about your beautiful Christmas traditions. What a great Narnia display! I would love to visit a Christmas display like this. Have a happy holiday season!

Carol Henry said...

What a wonderful Christmas tradition you have--you really do it up right. You paint us a great picture of your holiday season. It sounds like you should put it all in a book--it was so warm and made me smile visualizing it all. Have a very Holly Christmas.