Sunday, December 23, 2018

The Power and Peace in Family Traditions


Growing up in the 1950s and early 1960s, one of my fondest memories were of the holidays. I was blessed with an abundance of cousins on my father’s side of the family. One family had eight children, another had five. Being an only child, I was definitely outnumbered. Still the joy that we all shared when we were together more than made up for times when it was just me.




There were a number of “traditions” carried out by the family elders. More than once, I’m sure there was an eye-roll from myself or one of my cousins when my aunt would insist we participate. The older we got, the more eye-rolling. Yet, despite our rebellion, there was a comfort in those traditions, a surety that if we did things a certain way we’d likely reap the benefits of a good holiday.



Once I became an adult and had children of my own I attempted to begin new traditions, assuming my way would be better. I was wrong, or at least partially wrong. One of my many attempts at change revolved around food. Or, as my mother’s much smaller family insisted, the fact that the holiday “required” banquet-like meals. Often those traditional holiday meals would include two types of meat/protein: the traditional turkey lovingly basted in ginger ale, and a ham cooked in a sauce made from pineapple chunks and juice and brown sugar. Add to that, three types of potatoes (creamed, scalloped and sweet), two or three side vegetables, homemade rolls and biscuits, cranberry sauce (also homemade), and a gelatin salad (no dangerous greens for us).

Desserts were also important and included my aunt’s no-bake fruitcake, banana pudding, sweet potato pie, lemon meringue pie, and a coconut cake.

All I wanted was to pare down on the volume. It was an argument I lost right up until the last maternal elder was gone.

Grandma Kelley’s Sweet Potato Pie

·         1 lb sweet potato (1 large or 2 medium)
·         ½ cup butter, softened
·         1 cup white sugar
·         ½ cup milk (preferably whole)
·         2 eggs
·         ½ t nutmeg
·         ½ t cinnamon
·         1 t vanilla
·         1 pie crust (9”) unbaked (deep dish is best)

1.      Boil sweet potatoes in skin for 40-50 minutes or until done.  Run cold water over the potato until able to handle and then remove skin.
2.      Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
3.      Break potato apart in large bowl, add butter and mix well with mixer.
4.      Stir in remaining ingredients and then beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
5.      Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.
6.      Bake for 55-60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Pie will puff up and then will sink down when it cools.
7.      Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.




Now here I am, the grandmother of five and insistent on a few “traditions” of our own. My tree still goes up on my oldest son’s December 16th birthday (also a tradition in his house). We subscribe to the three gift rule for the grandkids (one gift they need, one they want, one they’ll wear). We’ve definitely pared down the “feast” process but there are still requirements such as the banana pudding and sweet potato pie. The responsibility for those goodies now falls to me and I’m more than happy to carry on the tradition.

What I’ve discovered over the years is that there is a definite tranquility, a peace, which comes with repeating certain happy memories. There’s also a power, a sense of personal control over both your life and the happiness of others when you adhere to the familiar.

We still tweak the process, making changes where necessary, altering our food choices to accommodate allergies and likes or dislikes. However, once we’re all gathered around the tree or the table, the love and the peace enclose us and remind of us of all our blessings.

May that same joy and peace be yours throughout this holiday season.

Nancy
Website ~ Blog ~ Facebook ~ Twitter

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely post. I agree about the family celebration traditions, and how comforting they are to children. Well, to me too. :-)
All the best to you and your family, Cat

Ilona Fridl said...

I, too, was a child of the 50s and 60s. I remember having more food than anyone could handle. I've pared down the food for my own family, but I still make tons of goodies to pass out. I love to bake! Great post!

Mary Morgan said...

(Chuckling softly here) This brought back memories of my holiday food table growing up, too. I think my mom finally said one Christmas that a ham that size would feed the entire family and we didn't need the turkey. Loved your pictures! Happy Holidays!

M. S. Spencer said...

Yes, humans like ritual, tradition, and discipline--don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's a chaotic world out there--knowing you'll get sweet potato pie that tastes like Grandma on Christmas makes it a little less scary.

Laura Strickland said...

I love making the same recipes and repeating the traditions of my ancestors. I agree, there's a sense of peace in that, and also a feeling of walking in their footsteps. This is the time of year when we feel time stretch out behind and ahead of us. Continuity, in its finest form.

Sadira Stone said...

Jello salad--oh dear! My Italian grandmother, a fabulous cook, just didn't do desserts, so we always had Jello with Cool Whip.
Still, there's much to be said for preparing those traditional dishes for the holidays. They have the power to transport us back in time and connect us to long-ago Christmases. Wishing you and yours a lovely Christmas together, with all the trimmings!

Tena Stetler said...

Wonderful traditions and memories. Thanks so much for sharing. I too can too remember those eye rolls on the ocasstion that my family traveled to where relatives where. I am on only child as well and it was to much more fun with other children around. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

CB Clark said...

Sweet potato pie sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing. You were very fortunate to have such wonderful Christmases with all your cousins. Merry Christmas.

Jana Richards said...

I too had oodles of cousins growing up. I have wonderful memories of Christmases spent with them.

Charlotteoshayauthor.com said...

What a lovely, warm post. Yes there is great comfort in traditions but I too love to tweak just a tiny bit. Adored your photos. Merry Christmas!

Cj Fosdick said...

Nancy, This brought back memories for me, also. My family produced massive feasts for the holidays, as well. I marvel today at how they managed to get so much done--cleaning, cooking, decorating, sending out cards, shopping. It was taken for granted as a kid--now I can truly appreciate their multi-tasking and the yummy feasts! What is your pen name?Nancy was the only reference in this blog.