Saturday, December 01, 2018

A holiday inspiration from Carol Henry

You never know when inspiration for a novel will strike. Sometimes it takes a few years—like 30! Well, it didn’t take me that long to come up with the inspiration for my novel, but that’s how many years my husband, a Freemason, and I have helped at the local Freemasons’ annual ‘Breakfast with Santa’ event that is free to children twelve and under. While the Masons cook and serve breakfast, the Boy Scouts help clear tables and wash dishes, and a few of the wives pitch in to serve and make sure everyone gets a chance to sit on Santa’s lap where they can tell Santa what they want for Christmas. Santa always has a gift for everyone. It’s a wonderful, spirited morning with the jiggle of Santa’s bells, and the room full of excited youngsters waiting to get a peek at Santa in his red suit and snowy white beard.

And it’s always heart-warming when small children come up to me and give me a hug, thinking I’m Mrs. Claus because I have my Santa Apron on. Of course, I flit around the room talking to everyone (knowing many from the community), and entice the kids to make sure they go see Santa and sit on his lap, and sometimes even take their picture with Santa. I’ve seen children bring their own Christmas list for Santa to take back to the North Pole. Always an up-lifting, fun day.


In the afternoons, a couple of the wives and our husbands, accompany Santa, as we take the show on the road and visit the local Elderly Housing Center. Playing Santa’s elves, we take gifts, and everyone who wishes to join us in the community room gets to sit on Santa’s lap, many of them never having had the opportunity in their lifetime.  Everyone gets a gift.  Those who aren’t able to attend, Santa and his elves make sure they also receive a gift, which is left in front of their door. Again, it’s so heartwarming to see their reaction to Santa, the happiness in their eyes and wide smiles on their faces, and almost excited anticipation waiting their turn to actually sit on Santa’s lap regardless of their handicap—to share in song and the wonderful spirit of the season.

Of course, we all come from both events with our own hearts full of having spread good cheer to young and old alike.  A tradition that is priceless.

So, when I needed a sequel for my Lobster Cove Book—Juelle’s Legacy—and the fact that I was leaning toward a Christmas theme, I immediately thought of the local Masonic Lodge’s Breakfast with Santa, and how I could use my own home-town’s local event to immerse the small town atmosphere in Lobster Cove  with the same Christmas spirit and family love. Not to mention find a way to reunite one of my characters from my previous novel with her one-time love from high school.

I’m not very good at coming up with titles, but this one seemed like a no-brainer. Basing the novel on my community’s Breakfast with Santa, it seemed like the title—Breakfast With Santa—was the perfect fit. And so my Lobster Cove sequel was born. Of course I couldn’t resist having my heroine dress up as an elf for the occasion, especially as the hero was Santa!

Breakfast With Santa is also included in a recent Boxed Set entitled: A Holiday Pomise.

May you find your own holiday traditions that warm your heart, and share your spirit with others.

Carol Henry

Destination: Romance—Exotic Romantic Suspense Adventures
Nothing Short of a Miracle: #1 Best Seller Amazon Encore Holiday Romance


34 comments:

JENNIFER WILCK said...

You're Mrs. Claus! That's so sweet!

Author Cathrine Goldstein said...

What a nice post, Carol! Happy Holidays!

Carol Henry said...

Thanks, Jennifer, it's always a heart-warming day. And, tomorrow, Sunday Dec. 2 we do it again this year. Got my apron ready to go. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Carol Henry said...

Thanks for stopping by Cathrine. Glad you enjoyed my post. Hope you have a wonderful Holiday season, too.

Zara West said...

Carol, you and your book Breakfast with Santa are both full of the kind of Christmas spirit we all need to have and to share. Thanks for making the holiday special for so many.!

Laura Strickland said...

Sounds like such a wonderful time, especially the elderly's home. Proves we all remain kids at heart! Enjoyed your post. Have a wonderful holiday.

DeeDee Lane said...

I just attended such an event this morning. A fun way to celebrate. Congrats on being on the Amazon bestseller list! Way to go!

Starra said...

Carol - you painted such a vivid picture of the event, I want to go! Merry Christmas!

Carol Henry said...

Thanks, Zara, Laura and DeeDee, it's so nice of your to stop by. Zara I'm so glad you enjoyed Breakfast with Santa. I was hoping they would have added the cover in the blog, but it's the Christmas spirit in my blog that I felt was important.

Laura, visiting the elderly home is an extra special bonus for me. I've worked with children for years, so it was great to jump on the sleigh and do something unique for the elderly.

DeeDee, I'm glad you got to attend such an event today. It's so heartwarming. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. And thanks for the congrats.

Hope you ladies have a wonderful Christmas.

Carol Henry said...

Starra, if you lived closer, you'd be welcomed. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Welcome to the Garden.

Connie Bretes said...

Mrs. Claus, can you give Santa my Christmas list????? LOL Great post.

Carol Henry said...

Sure, Connie, send it my way. I've been helping a good little girl write an I Love You letter to Santa and make reindeer food to make sure they stop at her house. We can add yours to the pile. Thanks for stopping by. Have a very merry Christmas.

Jana Richards said...

I love your Mrs. Santa apron, Carol. Have a wonderful Christmas!

ELF said...

What a lovely way to honor the season. Kudos to you and your hubby for all you do to spread the holiday spirit! Happy Holidays and warm wishes!

Cat Dubie said...

Wonderful tradition, something for everyone to look forward to. Glad your inspiration for the novel worked so well. There's something special about books set in small towns. All the best,

Cat

Carol Henry said...

Hi, Jana, Thanks for stopping by. I know, I love those aprons. Can't believe I picked them up years ago at Old Navy on a group shopping trip to Pennsylvania. They've worn well. Hope you have a lovely Christmas, too. All the best.

Carol Henry said...

Hi E.L.F. Thanks for stopping by and for the warm wishes. I'm a sap when it comes to the holidays--no matter the season--no matter the reason. And I love sharing them with the grandkids, or any kids--young or old. May you have a wonderful holiday season, too.

Carol Henry said...

Thanks for stopping by, Cat. I agree about the small town specialness. We've had the opportunity to move to a city and it just isn't for us. Love the closeness of the community surrounded by family. My family has always been about traditions and it's a warm feeling knowing that we've pass those traditions on to our children. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Diane Burton said...

I loved taking my kids to see Santa. Now their children are visiting him...and having breakfast with him. Such a great title for a book, Carol. Best wishes.

Mary Morgan said...

Absolutely wonderful, Carol! I remember my dad (he was with Knights of Columbus) would do these events, too. It was always so special for the kids. Thanks for reminding me of those fond memories. All the best and Happy Holidays!

Alina K. Field said...

Our local Knights of Columbus always has a Christmas Eve dinner with lots of gifts for the kids. I love these holiday gatherings! Sounds like a heartwarming story.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

What a wonderful story, Carol! Inspiring.
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

Carol Henry said...

Diane, thanks for stopping by. Isn't it great watching the kids meet Santa, just love it. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Carol Henry said...

Mary, I think it's great that these organizations pull together and offer something traditional for kids. So heartwarming. I'm proud to be part of it every year. I had a ball again today. Merry Christmas.

Carol Henry said...

Alina, yes, the holiday gatherings are special, especially when organizations such as the Knights and Masons focus on the youth. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Thanks for stopping by.

Carol Henry said...

Thanks for stopping by, Pamela. All the best during the holidays and in the New Year.

Brenda Whiteside said...

How delightful. I love the title of the book!

Carol Henry said...

Thanks for stopping by Brenda. I couldn't resist the title--it just fit--and I'm not good with titles. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Kristal Harris said...

How fun! What a great way to celebrate Christmas. Thanks for sharing.

Tena Stetler said...

Carol what a lovely way to start the season. Breakfast with Santa is one of my favorite Christmas tales! Love the cover too! So festive.

Carol Henry said...

Thanks for stopping by Kristal. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season and a great New Year.

Carol Henry said...

Hi, Tena, so glad you love Breakfast with Santa. I really enjoyed writing this one. We have a lovely day on Dec. 2 this year repeating this wonderful event. All the best to you over the holidays and Much success in the new year.

dlucas said...

Breakfast with Santa sounds like a great read! How sweet to be hugged by children who think you are Mrs. Claus. Enjoy the holiday season!

Carol Henry said...

It is a great feeling to be hugged by these enthusiastic children, and to watch them react to Santa. I had a chance to work at a Fire Department Breakfast with the Grinch this past Sunday, and that was almost as fun, watching the kids work their up to getting the courage to sit on the Grinch's lap--but a lot of them did. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.