Monday, November 26, 2007

Sundial -- Excerpt & Trailer

Sundial by Carrie LoftyI posted the book trailer for my Dec '07 miniature, "Sundial," winner of the "Through the Garden Gate" contest (vintage). Stop by my blog and let me know what you think!!

And here's an excerpt featuring my time traveler lovers. He's from 1987, she's from 2007, and they're trapped in 1958 Italy. Poor, confused things! But they seem to manage just fine...

***

Mark smiled in return, but a waiting silence lengthened between them. They'd behaved almost normally for a whole handful of minutes. He'd liked it. Too much.

"You're the first I've met from my future," he said. "I'm always the one feeling like Marty McFly, thinking these people are so quaint and stupid. But you must think that of me."

"Back to the Future?"

"Yeah. I went to see it with my dad. Had a great time."

"God, you really miss him." She covered his hand with hers. The gold figure eights on her bracelet shimmered in the sun. "I left São Paolo for Berkeley when I was eighteen, happy to be free. But I could always call when I was lonely. It was a slow transition to being on my own. I can’t imagine being ripped away before I was ready."

"I don't want your pity, Amber."

"Not pity," she said. "Just glad to understand you. Well, a beginning at least."

He squeezed her hand, the warmth and softness of her skin peeling away his reserve. Mark stared at those intertwined fingers. "I'm sorry for--for how I've acted. I don't know how to be...be myself, I guess. Be honest. Especially with women."

Amber pulled away. She stood, the chair legs scraping the linoleum and splitting the silence. Mark followed her slow progress around the dinette like watching a miracle unfold. She touched the back of his neck. Her fingers slid through his hair and gave a little tug.

"Can I kiss you?" Cheeks the color of sunshine through honey turned rosy. "No, wait," she said. "I'm going to kiss you."

Mark swallowed. "You are?"

"Try and stop me."

He circled her body with his arms and grabbed two handfuls of skirt and thigh, pulling her to straddle his legs. "Not a chance."

***

Have a great week!

Best,
Carrie

www.carrielofty.com
"Sundial" ~ The Wild Rose Press, Dec '07
What a Scoundrel Wants ~ Zebra Debut, Dec '08

2 comments:

Sharon Buchbinder, Romance Author said...

Congratulations on your win. The music for the trailer is lovely. Nicely done. I look forward to reading your story.

Sharon Buchbinder

Carrie Lofty said...

Thanks for your praise, Sharon! I appreciate it.