Monday, June 08, 2020

Garden Interview with L. A. Kelley

Hello L. A.

Welcome. Tell us about you and your books


Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?

I wish I could plot, that sounds lovely. You take a bunch of notes, outline each chapter and bam! The novel is finished. I start at the beginning with a vague idea of where I want to go and hope by the end it’s not a hot mess.

Are your characters based on real people?

Every villain I’ve ever created has some aspect of a boss I once had. I’ve changed the name, physical characteristics, and mannerisms so the person is unrecognizable, but you’re there, you soul sucker, and I kill you off in every book. 

When did you decide to become an author?

I’ve written since I was a child, but never the courage to submit anything for publication until a few years ago. I didn’t think anything would come of it, but, bless you, Wild Rose Press. I went from scribbler to author in one contract.

Do you have set times during the day that you write?

I’m a morning person, so I try to finish my work by noon, or early afternoon at the latest. I rarely write at night. My brain shuts down after 6 pm and I no thinkee good after big ball of fire fall from sky (I wrote this at night.)

How much of the book is realistic?

My latest novel, Shadow of the Eclipse, is a time-traveling adventure. The heroine and hero are thrust into three very different worlds; ancient Babylon, Medieval Germany, and 1906 San Francisco. I wanted these places to feel as real as possible, so had to do research to make them come alive for the reader.



And for a little fun...

If you were going to commit the perfect murder, how would you go about it?

I have a plan I keep on the back burner, but if I told you, I’d have to kill you.

Do you ever wish that you had an entirely uncreative job, like data entry or working in a factory?

I’ve done both. I wouldn’t wish them on my soul-sucking ex-boss. (Well, maybe I would.)

Do you have a favorite quote?

“If Moses were alive today he’d come down from the mountain with the Ten Commandments and spend the next five years trying to get them published.”
— Anonymous

Do you laugh at your own jokes?

Unfortunately, yes, and it’s usually when I’m in public and wandering a store aisle, so I look like a poor soul who’s gone off her meds.

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?


May be sassy, proceed with caution.

Where can we find you online?




Email at l.a.kelley.author@gmail.com

Download Shadow of the Eclipse on Amazon and other online retailers










3 comments:

GiniRifkin said...

HI L.A. great interview and glad to learn I'm not the only person who no thinkee after 6PM.
Wishing you continued success with your writing.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

I love your sense of humor that came through in your answers to the questions.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Forgot to say that I love time travel romances. :)