Thursday, June 18, 2020

Garden Interview with Sydney Winward

Hello Sydney

Welcome. Tell us about you and your books.


How long does it take to research and build a fantasy world?
It can take a while, but the world mostly builds itself as I write. I’ll get a good idea here, a good idea there, and it all comes together nicely at the end (after I write and rewrite details and strike some out). I had to do a lot of research on weapons, horses, and medieval living conditions. For Bloodborn, I had to do a lot of research on the classic vampire (not being able to see their own reflection, getting burned or killed when exposed to sunlight, not being able to enter a room without permission, etc.)

How do you get to know your story characters better?
I’m a very visual person, so after I choose an accurate picture of what the characters look like, I often go back and stare at the pictures to gain more insight into their personalities. I have to quickly hide the guy picture when my husband walks by. Otherwise that would be an awkward conversation that I would have no idea how to explain!

How do you get past those bumps in the narrative that slow down your writing?
Either I trudge through them or skip them and come back later. I can’t have a slow scene slow down my writing! Especially when I’m on a role.

What are your current projects?
I am SO excited about my current project. I named it A Waltz with Lord Death. After Lord Life is killed by a mortal who challenged him to a duel, the balance of the world tips. Without Life, no one can be born or be saved from their illnesses. Death kills everything he touches. Especially people. He races against time to find another Life before too much destruction befalls the world. He meets a woman who is immune to his deadly touch. Unfortunately, she wants nothing to do with the heavy responsibility of Life. Death has to convince her to kiss him and receive the powers of Life before time runs out.

What did you edit out of this book?
I wrote a scene where Adam Degore tries to seduce Willow into getting his way, but I put a big fat X on the page and scrapped not one, not two, but THREE chapters because it didn’t fit his personality at all. I’m very happy with what I changed those chapters into instead.


and lets get a little personal...


Do you have a favorite quote?
“If you don’t try, the answer will always be no.”

Has the dog ever eaten your manuscript?
Not a dog, but my bird ate my book. So sad :( I hate to see books desecrated by bird beaks.

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
This gal won’t listen to half of what you say. Too busy daydreaming.

What is your favorite time of year and why?
I love autumn. Crunchy leaves. The smell of decay. A turn in the weather. Not too hot. Not too cold. I get to wear cute clothes that are comfortable and long like boots and sweaters. Beautiful scenery as the leaves change color.

Who's more fun, bad boys or perfect gentlemen? Or Bad Girl or a lady?
Oh, I love a good gentleman. I love undivided attention, opening the door for me, perfect manners, respectful, thoughtful gifts, receiving a flower and maybe even a cute poem to go with it. Am I thinking of one of my characters? You bet! It’s a shame he ends up staining his hands to protect the woman he loves.



And where can we find you online?

https://sydneywinward.com/

https://www.facebook.com/sydneyewinward/

https://twitter.com/SydneyWinward

https://www.bookbub.com/profile/sydney-winward


Download Bloodborn on Amazon and other online retailers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z31B3N3/








11 comments:

D. V. Stone said...

Great interview. It's so nice getting to know you better. Fall is my favorite time of year too.

Tena Stetler said...

Great interview. I thought I was the only one whos bird ate my manuscript. LOL Yep, those beaks are destructive and quick. Now any books or written pages are kept out of beak reach. LOL Good Luck!

Karen Hulene Bartell said...

Can't wait to read A Waltz with Lord Death!

Judith Sterling said...

Wonderful interview, Sydney. Autumn is my favorite season, too. Growing up in Florida, I didn't get to experience it, but now (as an adult) I revel in everything it has to offer. :)

Barbara Bettis said...

Enjoyed the interview, Sydney. I love autumn too-- I can imagine how difficult it is to build the worlds in your book! Especially when dealing with vampires... Wishing you all the best with Bloodborn. :)

Sydney Winward said...

Haha, that's too funny, Tena! Birds are so mischievous.

Sydney Winward said...

Thanks for stopping by, D.V.! And what's not to like about fall?

Sydney Winward said...

Thanks Karen! It will probably be a while until my editor will allow me to submit it. I just barely submitted a different manuscript :)

Sydney Winward said...

Thanks Barbara!

Sydney Winward said...

Judith, I've never been to Florida, but I definitely love our autumns in Utah. The entire mountainside turns a beautiful shade of red and yellow when the leaves change color.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Enjoyed your interview.
Autumn is my favorite time of year- Hot cocoa, sweaters and boots- what's not to like. lol

I love your book cover. Dark and beautiful at the same time.

Wishing you the very best.