Thursday, June 25, 2020

Welcome Barb Warner Deane to our Garden Interviews

Welcome Barb

Tell us about you and your books.


Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?
Both – I develop my initial ideas into a detailed couple of pages of story, and a timeline. Once I have that, and some basic character sketches, and sometimes reference photos, for my main characters, I start writing and see where it takes me.

Have you ever cried while writing a book?
I cried when I wrote a dark scene in my first book, On The Homefront, and have gotten teary a couple of other times. Those are the times when I know the characters are controlling what’s happening, not me.

How did you do in English as a kid?
I was always good at writing in school, whether in English classes in high school and college, as well as  all of my classes in law school. I was even asked to be a teaching assistant to my legal research and writing class. But still, I always thought of my writing as more of a hobby than a career choice.

Did you have to research forensic science or criminal psychology for your latest suspense?
For my latest published suspense, And Then There Was You, I researched child-trafficking, the psychology of adoption, and music festivals. For my current work-in-process, the 3rd romantic suspense in my Harper’s Glen series, I’m researching ballistics, ammunition, veterinary science, and militia groups. Research is one of my favorite parts of writing.

Do you have to travel researching your book(s)?
Yes. For my historical novels, I have traveled to many of the sites of World War 2 history, as well as the National WW2 Museum and multiple other smaller museums dedicated to specific aspects of WW2.
For my romantic suspense books, I take advantage of my trips back home. Harper’s Glen is a fictional town set next to my hometown of Watkins Glen, NY. When I spend time at our cottage on the lake there in the summer, or visit family there over the holidays, I always take time to drive around the area, take photos, and get locations set in my mind for whatever is about to happen in the series.

And for a little fun…

What did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was very young, I wanted to be a writer. Then I moved on to teacher, but I started college in the late 1970s, when teaching was not a strong field to enter and my parents encouraged me to look elsewhere, even though they were both teachers. I got an undergraduate degree in hotel administration, but soon realized I didn’t want to be working on holidays or when everyone else in the world was on vacation. I liked business law, so I went to law school, but after 5 years of practicing law, realized it wasn’t for me. I’ve had many jobs in my life, but finally got to circle back to writing.

Do you enjoy giving interviews?
I do. I love to talk to strangers, whether in the grocery store line, the dentist’s waiting room, or passing on the street. This got me some dirty looks when we lived in Germany, as the Germans generally don’t appreciate it when a stranger speaks to, even smiles at, them. Unless you need help, and then they’re quick to give assistance.

Are you fun to go on vacation with?
I think so! I love to travel and have visited, so far, 47 states and 42 countries on 6 continents. I’m always up for seeing new places or even revisiting favorite spots. We lived in Frankfurt, Germany for 2 years and traveled as much of Europe as we could during that time. My first book, On The Homefront, was inspired by our visit to Normandy, France during that time. We also lived for 2 years in Shanghai, China and saw more of Asia than I ever thought I would. I’d like to go back to Australia and visit New Zealand, but other than exploring more of our national parks with my husband, there aren’t too many places I really want to see that I haven’t visited yet.

Have you ever found true love?
I was lucky enough to find true love the first night I met my husband. We were both 18 and freshmen in college. We dated for 3.5 years and got married the day before graduation. This May is our 37th anniversary, we have 3 incredible daughters – more true love for me – and have a very happy life together.

Do you have any hobbies?
Other than giving historical presentations about the roles of Women in WW2, which is really an extension of my writing, my main hobbies are photography and genealogy. I have traced our family tree back to Governor William Bradford, from the first crossing of the Mayflower, to King Henry I, Charlemagne, and, just recently, to Catherine Parr, the 6th wife of Henry VIII.


Where can we find you online?


https://www.barbwarnerdeane.com

https://www.facebook.com/barbwarnerdeane/

https://www.twitter.com/barbdeane/

https://www.bookbub.com/authors/barb-warner-deane


Download And Then There Was You on Amazon and other online retailers.
https://www.amazon.com/Then-There-Harpers-Glen-Novel-ebook/dp/B07QQLR625






2 comments:

GiniRifkin said...

HI Barb: so nice learning more about you. Wow what an extensive travel and genealogical history! Checking out the Harper's Glen books.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Enjoyed your interview. What an interesting family tree!