Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Garden Interview with Mariah Ankenman

Hello Mariah

Tel us about you and your books


1.Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?

I am a heavy plotter. I have a new notebook for every book I write and I plot out every scene down to dialogue sometimes. My Outline is really more of a 1st draft.

2.What tips would you give a new writer?

Read as much as you can. Write as much as you can. Don’t get so attached to your story that you can’t put it down and walk away if necessary. Listen to all advice with a grain of salt because what works for some doesn’t work for others.


3. Describe your writing style in ten words or less.

Sassy and swoon-worthy


4.Do you have set times during the day that you write?

I used to write at night after my kids went to bed, but now I try to sneak in 30-minute sprints throughout the day.

5.Does working to deadline inspire or annoy you?

Yes! Give me a deadline! If I have an end goal in sight it helps me to schedule my time better. I love deadlines.



And for a little fun...


1.If you came with a warning label, what would it say?

Warning, corny dad jokes ahead.

2.Do you have any hobbies?

I do! I love music, specifically playing my ukulele, but we have almost 2 dozen instruments in our house and I can play most of them. I also love crochet, scrapbooking, tabletop games, facepainting, cosplay, and aerial hoop.

3.What is your favorite drink?

Dirty Vodka Martini!

4.If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would be the most essential for you?

A solar powered ereader with an endless supply of books on it/A RoverTac multitool Camping tool/
Lifestraw

5.Do you laugh at your own jokes?

Sometimes I’m the only one laughing at them, lol!



Where can we find you online?





And find all Mariah's books at http://mariahankenman.com/books-2/


4 comments:

Donna Simonetta said...

Fun interview! It was great to get to know you a little better. And your plotting methods made me feel completely inadequate! Lol! Very organized...and I used to be a librarian, so I know from organized.

GiniRifkin said...

Hi nice learning more about you and your writing. Admire your stamina re: plotting. Between the music and hobbies it sounds like you keep very busy!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

I like to keep notebooks, too. I've started to keep folders on my computer. :)
It was nice getting to know you. :)

CB Clark said...

Love your sense of humour, Mariah! Best of luck with sales.