Thursday, May 28, 2020

Welcome Wendy Kendall to our garden interviews

Hello Wendy

Tell us about you and your books


Have you ever cried while writing a book?

I cried when I wrote one of the scenes in my mystery Kat Out of the Bag. It's a scene between Amber and Michael. Amber is a college student who runs the Purse Museum's gift shop and Michael is her boyfriend. I not only cried when I wrote this scene, my eyes filled with tears when I read it out loud to my writing Critique Group. Readers will easily recognize which emotional chapter it is.

When did you decide to become an author?

When I was 8 years old I declared to my family that I was going to write books. I loved reading stories, and imagining my own story plots.


Does working to deadline inspire or annoy you?

Working to a deadline motivates me. If no one gives me a deadline, then I create one for myself. If I miss a deadline then I celebrate progress made and set a new one.

When you wrote this book, did you have an idea of how it would end at the beginning?

Oh yes, I wrote the first scene, and then I wrote the last scene, and then I wrote the rest. In a mystery it's very helpful to know the ending when you're planting clues and alibis.There are some interesting parallels in the beginning and the ending of Kat Out of the Bag, but there are dynamic differences in the characters after what they've been through in the story.

Would you like to be friends with the main character?

I would love to be friends with Katherine Watson. She has a great sense of humor.  She's impulsive and opinionated, which can be unpredictable and fun. She's a celebrated, international purse designer so she's creative and has a gorgeous fashion sense. She's a self-made woman and drives an awesome classic, red Mustang. I would expect she'd let me, her best friend borrow her purses too.

 Follow up question - What is something you can picture the two of you doing together?
I can see us together at her Purse-onality Museum after a ride in the Mustang. Katherine and I would talk and laugh and drink lattes as we create one of the purse exhibits depicting women's lives throughout history.

And now for a little fun...
Who do you see as a hero/heroine in your life?

My parents are the hero and heroine of my life. I dedicated my book to them. They were part of “The Greatest Generation.” They were the definition of optimism and persistence, even through the darkest of times. They were creative and adventurous, and never lost a great sense of humor. And they were devoted to each other and our family. They've both passed away after very full lives. I remember so much of what they said, and what they did, and especially how loved they made me feel.

If you were going to commit the perfect murder, how would you go about it?

As a mystery writer, I've considered this in great detail. I would use the Shakespeare play Othello as my psychological thriller model. I would plot the same way as the character Iago. I would be devious about convincing someone else that they have been grievously wronged. With my subtle pushing, that person would strike out to commit the murder, while I am safe and sound with an alibi.

Do you have a favorite quote?

“Better late than never.” This quote is especially true when it comes to your dreams. If you can dream it, you can do it and there is no time limit. My writing simmered on the back burner longer than I expected, but I'm savoring it now.

And, if you're an amateur sleuth like Katherine Watson who is often late, she finds out that tardiness can be quite revealing when it comes to discovering clues.

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?

Caution: frequent stops for purse gazing

If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would be the most essential for you?

Chocolate, Music, Double Chai Lattes

Where can we find out more?
and
My podcast interviewing authors – A Novel Talk
Title of current release: Kat Out of the Bag

Download Kat Out of the Bag on Amazon and other online retailers.



3 comments:

GiniRifkin said...

Hi Wendy: Fun interview. I love hats so that would go nicely with your need for purse shopping.

D. V. STONE said...

Great post, Wendy. I agree it's neve to late.
D. V. 🦉

CB Clark said...

Interesting post, Wendy. You've obviously thought a great deal about planning the perfect murder. Are your friends nervous? LOL. Best of luck with writing.