Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Welcome Christopher J. Ferguson to our Garden Interviews

Hello Christopher

tell us about you and your books


How did you do in English as a kid?

Mostly I slept!  Seriously, I was never a very good student, particularly in high school.  Like most teens, my circadian rhythms didn’t really match the school day, so English class was a great time to catch up on some shut eye.  I actually really enjoyed reading out of school, Stephen King and Dean Koontz being my favorites in those days, but most of the books we got assigned in English were “classics” that, to me, frankly, just weren’t very good or interesting.  There were exceptions, to be sure, such as “Animal Farm”, which I loved, but most of the stuff they had us read was very dull to me.  I honestly didn’t read most of the books and “Cliff Notes” were a godsend.  Frankly, looking back, I’m not quite sure how I passed high school! 

Do you have trouble saying goodbye to characters?

Yes, sometimes.  I truly believe that no character, even the main character should be impervious to dying if that’s what the plot calls for.  So, as I sketch out plots, I’ll sometimes envision moving death scenes for main characters that readers will have fallen in love with.  Of course, after living with them in my head after months of writing, I’ve often fallen in love with them too!  But some of the great tension from books and fiction comes from never being sure the character you love is going to survive. 

Did you have to research forensic science or criminal psychology for your latest suspense?

Well, it helps that I’m a forensic psychologist myself!  So, I’ve kind of immersed myself in the darker elements of human nature.  For me, if I’m writing about a historical period as with Suicide Kings, trying to get the history right can require a bit more research.  I don’t mind fudging history a bit…wheellock pistols weren’t quite around yet during the time of the novel, and Diana Savrano manages to get around Florence a bit more than would have been possible for a young woman living in the very restrictive period of that time.  But, as much as possible, I try to keep the time period as faithful as I can. 

What tips would you give a new writer?

Persistence is an absolute must!  That’s a positive way of saying “Get used to rejection!”  Rejection is really quite the norm when dealing with fiction…fiction is subjective, and there’s a billion people out there all writing fiction, so the competition is fierce.  It’s difficult to succeed in if one is likely to be emotionally crushed by every rejection. 
But persistence also applies to writing.  There are plenty of other things out there that, arguably, are more fun in the short-term: video games, watching TV, hanging out with family, whatever.  Writing can, at times, be real work.  And, given point #1, work that’s not guaranteed to pay off.  Getting on a schedule for writing can help you keep on it, even when the motivation may dip, particularly around mid-book when the initial excitement wears off and the end is still nowhere in sight!

What are your current projects?

Aside from fiction, I do some work in non-fiction as well.  That gig is a bit easier since you actually need credentials to crack in there, so that reduces some of the competition.  I just released a book How Madness Shaped History that is pretty much what it says on the box…looking at how psychology and history have intersected, usually for the worse.  It’s a fun book, I think, with some great, lurid stories, but also some serious points about how we look at mental illness, problems with contemporary society, etc.   

And for a little fun

Do you have a favorite quote?

My favorite quote is actual a song lyric “If I only could, I’d make a deal with God, and get Him to swap our places.”  By Kate Bush. 

Do you laugh at your own jokes?

Somebody has to!

Are you jealous of other writers?

That’s actually a great question!  I’d hate to think I’m jealous of others in a negative sense like I’m angry at them for their success.  But would I love to have the fiction-writing empire of, say, Stephen King or J.K. Rowling?  You bet!  On the other hand, seeing at least that it’s possible for some authors to reach those dizzying heights is also inspiring.  So, I’d have to probably admit to a twinge of envy from time to time, but I suspect that’s also part of the motivation to keep going!

Do you have any hobbies?

Too many!  I’m an avid Dungeons and Dragons player which I’d probably credit (along with my wife and son) as being one of the most positive influences in my life.  I jog, bike, swim, play guitar, read of course, and probably have dabbled in some other things less frequently that I can’t remember.  I don’t have any difficulty frittering a day away (though afternoon naps also help with this…I’m a fundamentally lazy person who plays at being productive.) 

If you could have three wishes granted, what would you wish for?

Hmmm…I’d probably wish for dazzling success with my writing career without any drawbacks.  Second, assuming that world peace or an end to all disease was off the table, I’d wish that one random person who was good of heart was lifted up out of despair and returned to some positive place in their life (disease free, happy, etc.)  And third, yeah, I’d set the Genie free. 

Where can we find out more?

Twitter: CJFerguson1111


and other online retailers



2 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Great questions and answers!
I'd sent the genie free, too. :)

GiniRifkin said...

Hi Christopher. Fascinating interview. Great responses to three wishes and jealousy of other authors.