Friday, April 24, 2020

A Garden Interview with Suzanne Jefferies

Welcome Suzanne

Tell us about you and your books



How did you do in English as a kid?

Not too well. I was completely confused over participles, modifiers, gerundives, clauses and subordinates.  And ‘qualifying’ verbs? What does that even mean? I hated it.

When did you decide to become an author?

When I was sixteen, out of nowhere, I had a desire to write a soap opera set in an all-girls’ school (guess who was at an all-girls’ school at the time?). Whenever anyone asked what I wanted to do when I left school, I’d say, “author”. They always replied, “Good luck with that.”

Do you have set times during the day that you write?

No, I freelance so the work comes first. I squish my writing into the spaces that free up between projects.

What tips would you give a new writer?

Enjoy the journey because it’s all journey. There’s no destination, it’s all one long winding road with peaks and valleys. If you kick back and relax, you’ll enjoy the rolling along but if you’re looking for an end point, you’ll be disappointed.

Are your books or characters based anyone you know, or events in your own life?

Always to both. The only emotional reference point we have is our own experience. Characters end up amalgams of people I’ve met or watched on screen, rather than one particular person. As for ideas or themes, as a writer you’re always writing through your own ‘stuff’ in some way or other. It’s impossible not to because you’re going to be attracted to themes that speak to your own emotional wounds.

and for a little fun


What's the most blatant lie you've ever told?


“I have no idea what happened.” When I know exactly what happened and why. This lie might get used a lot more than it should.  

What did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was a kid, an air hostess. The uniform, the hair, the make-up! So glamorous. Now I know better.

Do you ever wish that you had an entirely uncreative job, like data entry or working in a factory?

Yes. I worked in a nursery, keeping inventory, taking plant orders, and generally wandering around through the rose bushes. I loved it. I was outdoors under the hot sun learning about plants, and getting paid for it (not a lot, admittedly). When I went home, work didn’t follow me – no email to check or meetings to schedule.

Do you ever go around in a corset, high heels, and a whip to get you in the mood to write something naughty?

Absolutely, all the time! Sometimes it really unsettles the rest of the customers at Starbucks. 

And where can we find out more



Twitter:@suzannjefferies

Sign up for Suzanne's newsletter at  http://bit.ly/2PE7zhw

And download Heard today on Amazon https://amzn.to/34rutxa
and other online retailers


1 comment:

Laura Strickland said...

You do realize you are now going to have a LOT of gentlemen searching for your Starbucks location? Enjoyed the interview!