Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Welcome Colleen O’Connell to our Garden Interviews

Welcome Colleen

thank you for stopping by

Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write? 
Primarily, I let the story unfold.  I see the story as a movie playing in my mind.   I write from start to finish.  I may have ideas for plotting scenes, but as the story unfolds, some of those plotted scenes will change as the characters drive the story.
When did you decide to become an author?
Although as a child, I had an active imagination with creating stories, I didn’t seriously start writing until I was in my 20’s.  When reading romance novels, I would invariably consider ways I would have done something differently with the storyline.  That triggered putting my ideas to paper.  The idea of becoming an author wasn’t a conscious thought until I began crafting that first book my way and received positive feedback from those reading the rawest draft.
Who is the biggest influence on your writing?
My mother was an English teacher, so I was inspired by her to appreciate words and phrasing.  My father was a voracious reader.  For me, the two came together early on.  Even as a child, without conscious design, I always had some sort of story in mind with ‘what if’ scenarios.  In my early school years, I began writing mini-biographies of my family, which contained a few sentences on notebook paper with taped on pictures of whomever I was writing about.  My imagination was always working, and nothing has changed over the years.
Do you have set times during the day that you write? 
I have a full-time day job that is all encompassing regarding focus and time constraints.  The evening is when I tend to write as that is when I am most creative in my thought process.  Sleep becomes nearly secondary with many nights garnering only 5-6 hours at best.
What tips would you give a new writer?
If you are receiving positive feedback even if associated with a rejection, keep writing and don’t give up.  As disappointing and upsetting as rejections can be, allow it to drive you to make your story stronger and always take the feedback constructively.

now lets find out something personal

What did you want to be when you grew up?  I wanted to be an actress.  I majored in Theatre Arts, moved from the Midwest to Los Angeles and studied briefly at a theatre workshop.  Then reality set in.  I was working as a waitress (what else?) and had no connections and not a clue how to break in.  My creativity began shifting to writing and that overrode my initial choice.
Are you jealous of other writers?  Jealousy doesn’t come to my mind.  I find myself very curious regarding successful authors as to how they broke the barrier to cross over the threshold to have their books best sellers – was it luck, marketing, connections, the story alone or a combination?  I’m in awe of great writing.
If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
Beware of Clutz.  A trait I was born with.  I tend to trip over my own feet.  It’s made for some interesting pratfalls.  It’s amazing I still have functional kneecaps.
What is your favorite comfort food? 
Without a doubt, chocolate.  Technically, this would likely not be considered a food group, but in my world, it’s a definite staple.  To compensate for it, I exercise daily.
What is your favorite time of year and why?
Christmas is my favorite.  Aside from the beautiful decorations, it’s the feeling generated by the holiday and the season leading up to the actual day.  Everyone seems to be in better spirits, more considerate of others, and excited about life.   

Where can we find out more
website:    www.colleenoconnell.org

 Download Pirate’s Prey on Amazon and other online retailers.  https://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Prey-Colleen-OConnell-ebook/dp/B07TTVKPJ7



3 comments:

Micki Miller said...

Chocolate and exercise. Love it!

Laura Strickland said...

Lovely interview! Chocolate is my favorite food group, too!

Tena Stetler said...

Yep, I know what you mean a movie in your head. I write the same way. Chocolate. Oh, yes! Thanks for sharing. Good luck!