Thursday, April 30, 2020

Welcome Kelly Vincent to our Garden Interviews

Hello Kelly 

tell us about you and your books


Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?
I plan, but when I’m actually writing, that plan changes minute-to-minute. In order to start, I have to have some idea where I’m going, or I’ll just sit there and stare at the screen. But once I get going, new ideas come from all directions and I roll with it.

When did you decide to become an author?
I was unhappy in my day job and decided I’d just write a book and polish it, and get it out there in a year or so. Easy peasy. But actually, it’s not that easy after all. I first wrote Finding Frances in November of 2013, and it only came out February of 2020. Needless to say, I did not quit my day job—but I did get a new one, fortunately.

Do you have set times during the day that you write?
I have a regular day job that keeps me busy during the week until five or so. I write pretty much all the time outside of that. It’s about all I do when I’m not working.

What are your current projects?
A couple of different YA stories. One is a collection of interlocked stories about a cool girl named Sarah who goes from an oblivious 13-year-old who thinks her man-crazy mom is the coolest to being a high-achieving artist. The other is a suspense about a girl who has to figure out why her sister was murdered.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you! Seriously, there’s nothing scarier than putting your work out into the world. Anybody who picks up my book out of the many out there just makes my day. Each time, I feel a little more like a real author.

And for some fun

What did you want to be when you grew up?
First, I was going to be an architect. Then a geneticist. Then a chemical engineer. And then a historian. What I ended up becoming was a computer programmer (at least for a while). And then I became a writer.

Do you laugh at your own jokes?
I never tell jokes per se, but I do say things that are supposed to be funny. And sometimes I do laugh—because man, it can be seriously funny.

Are you jealous of other writers?
Sure. With some of them, I’m jealous of their prolificness (that doesn’t sound like a word, but it’s in at least one dictionary, so I’m using it). With some, I’m jealous of their skill with words and story. With others, I’m just jealous of their big fat bank accounts. Though there’s not many of those.

What makes you cry?
So many things. It’s ridiculous. Books, movies, TV shows, even songs sometimes. Anything with a story that makes me feel a little too much.

What is your favorite time of year and why?
When I was growing up in Oklahoma, it was fall. It was always crisp and cool, the leaves were changing so there was color everywhere, and my birthday was coming. But I now live in Seattle and it’s definitely summer here, because of the long days, lack of rain, and not-too-hot temperatures. 

Where can we find out more?

my website: kellyvincent.net
my Facebook: -
my Twitter: @kvbooks
Find me on Instagram @kvbooks
and other online retailers



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read your book and really enjoyed it. This message needs to shouted from the rooftops. Congratulations on your published book.