Thursday, April 16, 2020

Welcome Peggy Jaeger to our garden interviews

Hi Peggy

thanks for being here. tell us everything :)


Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?

Before I became a full-time writer, I was a Registered Nurse for about 175 years. As such, my life was steeped in the Scientific method, devising patient care plans, and scheduling a patient’s daily life. In my own life, I am a planner. I like to know where I’m going, how I’m getting there and when I will arrive, and subsequently leave.
Yeah, I know. A little anal to be sure.
So that’s why I am a huge plotter. Before I ever write a word in a story – be it a full length novel, a novella, or even a short story, I plan/plot everything out on paper. I know all my characters intimately; the setting is described in detail; the goal, conflict and motivation are outlined.
I tried writing a story on the fly once and had such anxiety I deleted every word from my laptop because it was so….awful.



Have you ever cried while writing a book?

Several times, and not only with the scenes of people or pets dying. I cry when I laugh in real life. My husband is always asking me “what’s wrong?” if I’m watching something on TV and crying. 9 times out of 10 I am watching a comedy that is just making my belly shake and my eyes leak. When I write a scene and I cry, I know my reader will be moved as well and that’s a wonderful thing for a writer: to know they elicited an emotion in a reader.

Do you have set times during the day that you write?

I have chronic menopause induced insomnia so I am awake most of the day and night. I typically get the majority of my new writing done between the hours of midnight and four am. After that I do all my daily marketing, answer emails, and read blog posts, etc. for about 2 hours. Then, from 8-11 am I write /revise what I wrote from midnight, have lunch and exercise, and then write until about 2-4 pm. Check out the time stamp in the upper right hand corner on this picture. It says 4:36 am. That’s the time I was writing for this interview!

How much time do you spend writing every day?

Between 8 and 10 hours total. If I have received edits from my editor, it can be anywhere up to 12 hours depending on how much I need to edit/change/revise.


What is your least favorite part of the writing process?

The marketing that has to be done to get your book “out there” and into reader hands.
I am not a salesperson. I have friends who could sell sand to desert-dwellers. Not me. I deplore having to convince someone to buy my books. It’s really hard for me to do it in person, too. I feel so…conceited, saying, “Buy my book! You’ll love it!!”
In the good old days of publishing, the company gave writers publicists who did all that work. How I long for those days….

Do you have a favorite quote?

Many, but the ones I live by daily are two:
“When you know better, you do better.”

And

“People may forget what you said, people may forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Both by the amazeballs Maya Angelu.

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?

Contents may explode under pressure.
This is true. I rarely get mad, but when I do, I blow big, loud, and scary.

What is the one question you wish an interviewer would ask you?

Was it everything you thought it would be?

If you could have three wishes granted, what would you wish for?

I love this question because my WRP novella 3 WISHES asked this same question!
1.        to have enough money to make the lives of everyone I know secure. No bills, no mortgage payments, no healthcare payments.
2.        To eradicate hunger. Everywhere.
3.        (this is the selfish one!) to be on a major bestseller list for every book I write.


Where can we find out more?









Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00T8E5LN0



Download A PRIDE OF BROTHERS: RICK from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081G7WDP4
and other online retailers



And pre-order  VANILLA WITH A TWIST 



19 comments:

peggy jaeger said...

Hee hee. This was fun!!! You have to click on that picture to see the time stamp so the next time I do something like that I'll take a screen shot to make it easier on everyone to see what i'm talking about. Tech-NO-savvy is my middle name. Le sigh.....

Laura Strickland said...

Peggy, This interview was so YOU, the you that makes readers love your books and want to read them one after the other--zany, smart and full of pizzazz!

Karen Hulene Bartell said...

Great interview, Peg ~ I can empathize with your insomnia-inspired writing! Best of luck!

peggy jaeger said...

Laura - I think the best compliment I've gotten in a while is ZANY!!! I love that description.. Bless you.

peggy jaeger said...

Karen - the one good thing to come of this damn insomnia is my writing schedule. I guess I can't curse it anymore. Oh, who am I kidding. I'm always going to damn it!!!!

Joanne Guidoccio said...

Love reading your story...you are an inspiration to all of us. Avanti!!!

Judith Sterling said...

Great interview, Peg! Like you, I'm a total plotter. I have to have specific details--and even dialogue--for every single scene of the book. Loved learning more about you!

D. V. Stone said...

Great interview, Peggy. You sound like a hoot to hang with.
D. V. 🦉

peggy jaeger said...

Joanne - bless you, girl!!!

peggy jaeger said...

Judith, me too. If I don't I go a little...crayCray!!

peggy jaeger said...

Thanks, D.V. - I can say the same for you! heehehe

Barbara Bettis said...

Peggy, Absolutely loved your interview and getting to know you better. Love your books, too. So delightful!

Shirley Goldberg said...

Peggy, this was a great interview. My goal, too, is to be a plotter. I think it would help me not to go so crazy when writing my next book!

Christine Samuelson said...

What a wonderful interview, Peggy! Your sense of humor shows through, and I love the 'explodes under pressure'! Same with me, but I could never have put it so expressively. Don't know how you function, and so beautifully, on so little sleep, but God bless! Best of luck on your new Vanilla with a Twist book -- wishing you lots of success and sales!

peggy jaeger said...

Barbara I can play TAG with you and say RIGHT BACK ATCHA!!!! Thanks for your kind words and support!

peggy jaeger said...

SHirley - Nike says it best: JUST DO IT!!!

peggy jaeger said...

Christine - seriously, it;s like Mount Vesuvius when I blow!!! People for miles around feel the quake. Hee hee. I think my years of lack of sleep will probably catch up to me at one point. I'm gonna be 60 next month but I figure I've been awake as long as an 85 year old! Kinda puts it all into perspective. Bless you for your kind words.

Tena Stetler said...

Your interview was just like talking to you. So truly you. I enjoyed your interview. I have to agree marketing sucks, but we have to suck it up buttercup. Best of luck with Vanilla With A Twist! Can't wait to read it.

peggy jaeger said...

Tena - why is it the stuff we HAVE to do ( aka marketing) always sucks>? A question for the sages, I think...