Monday, April 06, 2020

An interview with Michael B. Coyle

Welcome Michael B. Coyle to the garden

Lets chat about Michael, the author


Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?

My mystery stories unfold as I go along. Sometimes I don’t know who the killer is until I am well along in the story. Then one morning I wake up and it becomes obvious “who done it.”

Are your characters based on real people?

My characters are based on people in other books. I have abducted my main detectives, Blathers and Duff, from “Oliver Twist.”

How did you do in English as a kid?

English, both lit and comp, were my favorite and best subjects. My only problem was that I was a very poor speller. Now that there is Spell Check, I am much better.

When did you decide to become an author?

I decided to become an author when I was in grade school. Oops I decided I couldn’t be an author when I got married and had kids. Forty-five years later, I retired from business and I then, I could afford to have a profession that doesn’t pay all that well.

Who is the biggest influence on your writing?

The greatest influences on my writing have been Charles Dickens and Rex Stout. My work is an effort to combine the two.


and for a bit for fun

Do you have a favorite quote?


My favorite quote is:  A decent provision for the poor is the true test of civilization” Samuel Johnson 1770

What song would best describe your life?

If we are talking about my whole life, any song that Willy Nelson sings on “Stardust” would fit the bill. If we are talking about my life as it is today, the “September Song” is it.  

What is your favorite drink?

My favorite beverage is a CC Manhattan on the rocks, with an extra splash of sweet vermouth. Every bartender is our little town Knows how to make it the way I like it. 

Do you enjoy giving interviews?

I like talking to folks. When I was in business, I put on seminars, and taught professional coursed for local Colleges. Interviews are easy in comparison.

Are you fun to go on vacation with?

My wife and I have been vacationing in Barbados for the last 25 years. We must be having fun, because we have established good friendships with folks from far and wide.

Author of The Sons of the Fathers
Available on Amazon
and other online retailers



8 comments:

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Nice getting to know you better, Michael!

D. V. STONE said...

Nice to meet you 🦉

Micki Miller said...

Great interview! Really enjoyed this.

Laura Strickland said...

Yours sounds like a book I'd love to read! I love anything Victorian or Dickensian. Great interview!

Barbara Bettis said...

Lovely interview, Michael. I enjoyed learning more about you.

Starra said...

Great interview. I love Dickens as well.

CB Clark said...

Great interview, Michael. Thanks for sharing.

GiniRifkin said...

Hi Micheal. Interesting story concept. Definitely adding you to my Authors I want to read list.