Thursday, April 02, 2020

An Interview with B. Davis Kroon

Welcome B. Davis Kroon to the Garden this morning.

Lets find out a little about you as an author


Do you have trouble saying goodbye to characters?
            Yes. I love the character Frank Leit in Trap Play. He’s only in two chapters but he’s such a lovely man. Necessary to have him as a victim though. I carry him with me. On the flip side, in spite of how evil she is, I adore the villain in the same book. Fun to write: physical, narcissistic, snappish, in-charge--you don’t want this character as a neighbor or a babysitter. And you definitely don’t want to wake up next to her in the morning. Sad to see her go but the world is definitely a better place without them.
Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?
I have begun books as a pantser, but it isn’t long before I’m developing a step-sheet (pretty necessary when you write the kind of time-sensitive story that seems to be what I do). On the other hand, I’m not so wedded to my step-sheet that I can’t shift things around, or shake up the beginning of the story.
Do you research (choose one of the following item) your sex scenes?
Fun question given that I’m not writing romance. Do you call a class “research?” The whole idea of writing a sex scene scared the laylights out of me and yet it was a necessity in Trap Play. I found a section on writing sex scenes at the Willamette Writers annual conference. The teacher writes erotica. Her tips on balanced language was very helpful and the class was priceless.
Who is the biggest influence on your writing?
            Though it seems like I’m always learning from the books I read, probably the greatest influence on my work is my writing group—four women and one man who generously focus on one another’s work with a goal of making that writing as good as it can be.
Are your books or characters based anyone you know, or events in your own life?
            The beginning idea for Trap Play (and the sequel I’m working on) come from my own interest in football and the impact of game injuries on the players once they leave the field of play. As for other ideas, I worked in law for many years. That experience certainly left its thumbprint on Trap Play. I’m also working on a stand alone novel where the core issue is based on a case I worked on for five years.
and now for a bit of fun

If you were a tool what would you be?
            A Swiss Army knife- lots of parts, lots of applications, handy in a pinch.

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
            Warning: Appears kindly. But inclined to be fizzy. Impatient to a fault.
Are you fun to go on vacation with?
            I suspect it depends. I’m good with maps and strangers. As for languages, I get along okay in Modern Greek and can fumble my way through enough French to generally be forgiven by the natives (and my pronunciation’s great if I do say so myself). I’m an adventurous eater (not bugs, please but I’ve eaten escargot) and I’m delighted with cities. But, if you can’t stand spending days at the museums, maybe you wouldn’t find me such a perfect companion. Other down sides? I’m less willing to dash from one metropolis to another. Let’s just live in the French countryside for a month and walk to town, do a little painting, eat local and relax. Or take a place at the beach, build a fire in the fireplace, plus read, do beach walks and dine in.
If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would be the most essential for you?
            A seaworthy boat, excellent navigation equipment, and seasick pills.
Have you ever found true love?

            Several times. I met Robert and Elizabeth when I was living in San Francisco. They moved into my Pacific Heights flat. We were together fourteen years. (West Highland White Terriers) Then Fergus (another Westie) and Phoebe (Cairn terrier) joined me when I moved to Portland. Then Biscuit and Tully (Cairns). All have traveled the Rainbow Bridge. I live now with Parker (another Cairn)…oh yes, and my husband and a Siamese cat named Karla.

And were can we find out more about you and your books
Website: http://bdaviskroon.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bdaviskroon
Twitter.com/daviskroon1
Discover Trap Pay on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B084FV49GG
and other online retailers




No comments: