Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Welcome Julie Howard to the garden interviews

Hello Julie

tell us about you and your books


Do you have trouble saying goodbye to characters?
All the time! This is one reason I write in series, so that I can stay in my characters’ world a little longer and keep their stories going. I love all my characters, even the “bad” ones. While I write, they become alive in my mind and are very nearly as real as my family and friends. When I finished my Wild Crime series, I cried. I still miss those characters, but the story was over and it was time to let them go.

Did you have to research forensic science or criminal psychology for your latest suspense?
Oh boy, this is a great question. Since I write a lot of murder mysteries, I Google the strangest and most awful subjects. In a book that will come out this summer, I needed some specific details. For instance, how long does DNA from blood stay on a knife if it’s dipped in water? How much blood is in the human body? What does blood smell like?
I have another book underway where one character is in prison and I’m doing a lot of research about prison behavior right now.

What tips would you give a new writer?
Just keep writing. Really, there’s nothing better than getting your fingers on a keyboard, or on a pen if you write longhand, and getting words down. There’s a temptation to study writing, attend conferences and seminars, and read numerous books on craft – all that is great, but if you shouldn’t spend more time doing that than actually writing.
My second tip is don’t give up. The path to publication is very hard and it’s easy to get discouraged. You really need to see this as a long game. Focus on five years out, not on the immediate future. If you do that, then a positive response in, say, two years, will come as a welcome surprise! Keep writing and polishing. If your first book doesn’t find traction, write another. Just keep writing.
Finally, believe in yourself and your book. There will always be naysayers in your life who will discount your ability/dream/craft. Stay connected to those who support your dream. Those are the people who matter.

How much if any influence do you have on cover art?
I’m fortunate to work with The Wild Rose Press, where I’m given the opportunity to provide my vision for what the cover should look like. They have ultimate control over the cover art, and so I’m grateful to have this input.
They’ve published five books of mine now, with a sixth that will release this summer. All six covers are exactly as I envisioned them, and so perfect for the stories. The Wild Rose Press works with very talented artists who are experts in their field.

Do you write under a pen name?
Nope. That’s really me, Julie Howard.

And for a little something personal

What's the most blatant lie you've ever told?

Of course you don’t look your age.

Who do you see as a hero/heroine in your life?
I’d have to say my parents. Both ordinary people who have survived extraordinary hardships with grace. They inspire me to stay strong when life gets tough. They’ll celebrate their sixtieth anniversary on New Year’s Eve this year!

If you were going to commit the perfect murder, how would you go about it?
Ahhh, I couldn’t say, could I?

What did you want to be when you grew up?
An author. Seriously! I am living my dream right now.

You can erase one embarrassing experience from your past. What will it be?
Oh, there’s so many to choose from. The first one that comes to mind is when I was eight months pregnant and went for a checkup with my OB/GYN. I was on the table, put my feet in the stirrups, and the doctor leaned over to do the examination. I felt a rumbling in my tummy. Then… Okay, I’m going to skip over the next ten seconds. The doctor excused himself from the room, very politely, and didn’t return for at least ten minutes. I’d love for that experience to be deleted from my past. I loved being pregnant, but it had its downsides.

Where can we find out more?






Download House of Seven Spirits



3 comments:

Tena Stetler said...

Julie a wonderful interview. I enjoyed learning more about you. Stay safe!

Judith Sterling said...

Great interview, Julie. I'm with you on writing series so we can spend more time with our characters! And OMG, that truly WAS an embarrassing moment! We've all had them, though. Enjoyed learning more about you.

CB Clark said...

Very interesting Post, Julie! What an embarrassing moment! Thanks for sharing.