Friday, April 10, 2020

Welcome Laura M. Baird to our garden interviews

Hello Laura

thank you for visiting with us today


When did you decide to become an author?
I started writing a novel in 1995 while working as a dental assistant, wanting to emulate Nora Roberts. Between family life and returning to school to become a dental hygienist, I wrote off and on, thinking one day I’d do more. It wasn’t until 2016 after attending my first writers conference that I said, “This is what I’m going to do!” I dedicated time to writing, polished several stories, and started submitting. When my first acceptance came, then another, and another, I was ecstatic, and knew this was my dream coming true.

Do you have set times during the day that you write?
I try to dedicate my afternoons/evenings to writing. Some days I may only get an hour of writing completed, depending on my inspiration. Other days I may sit for hours when on a roll, and I have to force myself to take a break. If an idea comes to mind anytime throughout the day, I’m prepared with pen and paper to make sure I don’t forget.

How do you deal with writer's block?
If I want to progress on the story but I’m stuck, I’ll begin to reread the manuscript to get me back in the flow. I imagine it’s a movie playing out and I try to visualize what’s going to happen or be said next. If I’m truly blocked and cannot make any progress, I’ll walk away and come back in a day or more (again, depending on inspiration) and look at it with a fresh perspective. In that down time, I’m reading more.

Are your books or characters based on anyone you know, or events in your own life?
I don’t base a character on any one specific person from my life, but I’ll definitely take certain characteristics from many and blend them together. Even my own traits or habits. As for events, I’ll take an incident and change it up a bit, or embellish something that may have happened to myself, a friend, or family member. I’m slowly naming characters after family and co-workers, simply because I’ve told them they’d have a spot in a book. That character could be the complete opposite of the person they were named for, but it’s been fun to let my imagination go wild.

Do you have trouble saying goodbye to characters?
I do! That’s why I like series so much! I imagine, like many writers, I hold my characters very near and dear, and like a good friend or family member, I don’t want to say good bye. If I can continue stories in a series that’ll be unique, fun, and romantic, while bringing back characters that’ll blend seamlessly, I will. As a reader, I know it’s comforting to read a series, and I really want to know what happens to the next couple, and the next. So as an author I offer that to my readers.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
Oh, the list is long! I wanted to be a teacher, a photographer traveling the world, the next ‘Jacques Cousteau’ exploring the ocean, a helicopter pilot flying search and rescue, the operator of an animal sanctuary, a surgeon, and the best mother to a dozen kids. (I became a wife, a mother of two sons, an Army veteran, a dental hygienist, and an author.)

Do you ever wish that you had an entirely uncreative job, like data entry or working in a factory?
At times, yes, I think I’d like to be working in a research laboratory running experiments and collecting data; and having little interaction with others. (My introvert personality at its finest.)

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
Short fuse with a tendency to care too much. There are times when I make a rash judgement, only to regret it and wish I’d taken another moment to really consider the situation. I’m also a very giving person who tends to make others happy even at my own expense. Hubby has taught me that caring is fine, but not if I have to sacrifice myself.

What is your favorite comfort food?
Sourdough toast with gobs of butter!

What makes you laugh?
My husband, my grandson, funny dog videos

Where can we find out more


Download Fantasies Abound (Awakened Desires 2) on Amazon  https://www.amazon.com/Fantasies-Abound-Awakened-Desires-Book-ebook/dp/B07PJDBJQ2

and other online retailers







8 comments:

Tena Stetler said...

Loving the interviews! Happy Easter Weekend everyone!

Laura M. Baird said...

Happy Easter!

Penny said...

Awesome! Gives us all more insight into you and your stories. Love the picture.

Micki Miller said...

Great interview! Love hearing what’s in a writer’s head.

Laura M. Baird said...

Thank you, Penny and Micki!

Laura Strickland said...

Great interview! I really enjoyed it.

Barbara Bettis said...

I enjoyed getting to know you better, Laura. Best of luck.

Laura M. Baird said...

Thank you, Laura and Barbara!